See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed November 3, 2010

I was a little worried about what the rooms would be like because the price was so reasonable, especially compared to other hotels nearby. I spoke with the owner, who explained that she wants to provide a clean, nice room for people to stay in when they are in Berkeley. She has many repeat guests, especially people who are in town to work at Lawrence-Berkeley Labs, and parents of students.
The hotel was built by the owner 3 years ago and she and her family live on the premises, so they keep a close eye on the premises.
Will you find a refrigerator in the room? No. The owner explained that rooms stay cleaner when you don't have a refrigerator in the room, plus there are so many places to eat within walking distance that you don't need to camp out in your room for meals.
Will you find a huge HD flatscreen tv in the room? Yes. And a tub/shower. And Tempurpedic beds.
Overall, if you need a safe, clean place to stay, one block from Shattuck and BART, this is an excellent choice.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo
3  Thank Middle-aged
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Had the opportunity to visit the great Greek Theater in Berkeley last summer. Every hotel was booked to the hilt for the concert or miles away, except for the Downtown Berkeley Inn. The look and feel is kinda Ikea modern, its not 5 star stay but if you're in a pinch I'd stay here.
Deltas-The price was more than what I paid for a room at the Westin in San Francisco, no ice machine, the lamps were all but destroyed.
Pluses-Off street parking, free internet, cable, clean room and linens and close proximity to the Greek.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank Funarrio
Reviewed September 18, 2010

My girlfriend and I have been planning on a little vacation for a long and have never been able to find time. So when Labor Day weekend arrived, we decided to take the opportunity to go somewhere not too far. Since it's been 4 years that I had a Top Dog and been in Berkeley after graduating and my girlfriend has never been to Norcal, we decided to take vacation up there. We didn't want to spend too much and I know how squalor some hotels could be when you're trying to find an affordable room. So I was skeptical when I did my google search. Well, I happen to stumble upon Downtown Berkeley Inn online and read the reviews and saw their nightly prices for that weekend. I was surprised by the pictures of the rooms, seeing how nice it looked. I then decided this is the place I want to stay, especially since it's right by UC Berkeley's campus and by the restaurants. Well, to make a review short, the owner is very nice and accommodating. Staying at her hotel was the best experience I've ever had. It really made our first vacation together very special. I highly recommend everyone to stay at this hotel. This place was perfect, but except one little thing, which isn't a big deal, but I just want to put it out there for FYI. There wasn't a little fridge in the room, so we couldn't store our drinks or food. But that's something we can overlook since everything else was perfect.

Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank chlam
Reviewed August 12, 2010

I stayed here for 4 nights in August.

The rate can't be beat.

The hotel is family owned and they live on site and are available 24/7 (after hours you have to call). They are all very friendly and will do almost anything for you to make your stay comfortable.

These rooms are simple and basic but with heavy upgrades. No mini fridge or microwave - but if you need something the owner will happily store it (like medication) or heat something up for you. Why should they have a $5000 ice machine just so you can fill up your cooler?? Makes no sense for them to have one. But if you need ice, the owner will give you ice. The beds are foam memory mattresses. VERY comfortable. The television is bigger than my home TV (which is pretty big). Flat screen, Satellite TV.

The location can't be beat. Just 1 block away from Shattuck Ave. where you'll find an abundance of restaurants and about 3 blocks from the university. It's 2 blocks from the Downtown Berkeley metro stop. Very handy.

There was no noise. Very quiet. Hotel is across from a high school and the old abandoned high school.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel if you're looking for something quiet and simple and clean. I think most of their business is for people visiting the University... but for our trip for leisure to Berkeley and San Francisco it was just perfect!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2010

This Hotel has it all. Location, friendly service and nice rooms!
I recommend it to any traveler for business or pleasure!
Family owned and operated. Great customer service!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo