“Salvadorian in Berkeley”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Berkeley, California
“Salvadorian in Berkeley”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

This place is a nice spot for when you're craving ethnic (Salvadorian) food and don't want to drive to the city. The food is OK overpriced (my opinion), but it gets the job done.

The whole fish is my husband's favorite. I like the pupusas. Would patronize more often if the price was better.

Visited April 2014

Tennessee
“Wonderful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

This was the first place we ate when we arrived in Berkeley and it set the tone for our entire culinary experience in the city. The service was excellent and the pupusas were wonderful. The portions were sizable and everything tasted out of this world!

Visited July 2013
San Francisco, California
“Pupusas are where its at!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

$2 pupusas makes this place a great bargain. Yummy and so cheap! Also the plantains with cream and beans are soo good. I think the service depends on how busy they are, but I like the laid back atmosphere.

I've been here a few times with different types of people and there was always something for everyone. It's just a good value and so filling that everyone always comes away happy. If I didn't enjoy the food so much then I may be bothered with the fact that they are kind of slow, but just come here when you have some time and can kick back and relax. Then you'll be fine!

• Visited March 2013
Berkeley, California
“Food is great, service isn't”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

I'm having a hard time deciding about giving this place a 3 or 4 because the food is awesome but the service usually sucks.

I'll start with the good: The food is delicious. I love pupusas and they have excellent ones with a bunch of different fillings. Not only are they hot and fresh, they're cheap and filling which is always a major plus.

The bad: The service is poor. We once had to wait 30 minutes for them to give us the bill after clearing our place. Once we finally got the bill I unfortunately had to use my card. This was unfortunate because it took them at least 30 minutes for them to bring it back. Finally I had to call over a different server so we could be helped. Every table gets a bottle of homemade sauce and a mix of cabbage (kind of like a coleslaw without mayo). The first time I dined there we didnt get any at our table (it wasnt until the meal was almost over that we realized we were missing out). Another time i was there i had to ask the waiter for it after he forgot to bring it with our meal. I've only eaten here 3 times but every time I've had to wait 30 mins-an hour to get out the door once I'm done eating.

You must be able to tell the food is what brought me back. Now I'm vegan/gluten free and haven't been there since. I plan on going back to ask how their food is prepared, things like pupusas are traditionally made with corn masa and pork lard but I have no idea how they make them there. Next time I'm there ill report back!

• Visited August 2012
Bath, England, United Kingdom
“A bit bland”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

The food was more interesting for its texture rather than its taste. Perhaps this is just in the nature of Salvadoran food. Service was very slow for lunch - not a good place to go if you need to get back to work.

Visited September 2012