“Wonderful!”

Platano
Ranked #76 of 716 Restaurants in Berkeley
Cuisines: Central American
Reviewed July 24, 2013

This was the first place we ate when we arrived in Berkeley and it set the tone for our entire culinary experience in the city. The service was excellent and the pupusas were wonderful. The portions were sizable and everything tasted out of this world!

Reviewed March 30, 2013

$2 pupusas makes this place a great bargain. Yummy and so cheap! Also the plantains with cream and beans are soo good. I think the service depends on how busy they are, but I like the laid back atmosphere.

I've been here a few times with different types of people and there was always something for everyone. It's just a good value and so filling that everyone always comes away happy. If I didn't enjoy the food so much then I may be bothered with the fact that they are kind of slow, but just come here when you have some time and can kick back and relax. Then you'll be fine!

Reviewed December 23, 2012

I'm having a hard time deciding about giving this place a 3 or 4 because the food is awesome but the service usually sucks.

I'll start with the good: The food is delicious. I love pupusas and they have excellent ones with a bunch of different fillings. Not only are they hot and fresh, they're cheap and filling which is always a major plus.

The bad: The service is poor. We once had to wait 30 minutes for them to give us the bill after clearing our place. Once we finally got the bill I unfortunately had to use my card. This was unfortunate because it took them at least 30 minutes for them to bring it back. Finally I had to call over a different server so we could be helped. Every table gets a bottle of homemade sauce and a mix of cabbage (kind of like a coleslaw without mayo). The first time I dined there we didnt get any at our table (it wasnt until the meal was almost over that we realized we were missing out). Another time i was there i had to ask the waiter for it after he forgot to bring it with our meal. I've only eaten here 3 times but every time I've had to wait 30 mins-an hour to get out the door once I'm done eating.

You must be able to tell the food is what brought me back. Now I'm vegan/gluten free and haven't been there since. I plan on going back to ask how their food is prepared, things like pupusas are traditionally made with corn masa and pork lard but I have no idea how they make them there. Next time I'm there ill report back!

Reviewed September 24, 2012

The food was more interesting for its texture rather than its taste. Perhaps this is just in the nature of Salvadoran food. Service was very slow for lunch - not a good place to go if you need to get back to work.

Reviewed May 22, 2012

Patano was highly recommended to me and we went for lunch. The Platanos were very good, but the chicken and the pupusas were so disappointing. The chicken was a very small portion and overcooked and pupusas doughy. I feel terrible saying this since the staff were great, and the restaurant is so attractive, but compared to other Central Amerian restaurants I would have expected better.