“Enjoyed every mouthful”

Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Cedar Street
Transit: Downtown Berkeley BART station 7 blocks from Chez Panisse. AC Transit bus connection or taxi at BART station AC Transit bus connection or taxi at BART station
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Have eaten downstairs previously but grabbed a reservation off Open Table for the cafe. It's a very comfy space with beautiful wood paneling. Service was excellent, attentive but never over bearing.

Every mouthful of food was a delight. Got the mixed greens salad with green goddess dressing. Very simple but delicious and all the greens were super fresh! Entree was a pasta in light cream sauce with peas and mushrooms. Delicious!

Dessert was the apricot galette and it was fantastic.

Two people with salads, entrees, two desserts and a glass of wine each was $135! I hadn't read up on the restaurant previously and didn't know they added a service charge. Others complain that they don't tell you this but once I looked at the credit card charge it was in big bold letters so I saw it almost right away. I had thought $135 for all that great food and wine for two was extremely fair but then when I realized that the service charge is also included the place is a downright bargain!

1  Thank calpoidog

Reviewed May 28, 2014

The food is absolutely delicious. Chez Panisse is a Berkeley institution and a great place to take out of town guests who are foodies. You need to make reservations. The cafe is upstairs while the restaurant with a fixed menu is downstairs. They show me their new sun porch area on this last visit. The cafe is in warm colors with stained glass and a Craftsman feel (also very Berkeley). Dinner for me and my two teens, without wine, but with drinks, appetizer/salad, and 3 entrees, 2 shared desserts came to about $130.00. It was much more reasonable than I had expected. The service was very nice, not snobby, I look forward to going back to try some new items.

1  Thank kathryn76
Reviewed May 28, 2014

I love going to the "café" for date night with the hubs. There's always a three course menu du jour similar to the one I copied below. $30 for three courses at a nice restaurant with romantic lighting seems pretty much awesome to me. Also, every time I've gone, I've shown up and been seated before I've finished my cocktail.

MENU DU JOUR
STRAWBERRY SHERBET AND PIXIE TANGERINE GRANITA
WITH STRAWBERRIES AND LANGUE DE CHAT

1  Thank AveryJune
Reviewed May 25, 2014

The Chez Panisse Cafe is everything I hoped for and more! Who would have thought that a salad could be so good??? The service was wonderful and the meal was excellent. Didn't feel rushed and could savor every delicious morsel of this experience. I wish I didn't live so far away so that I could eat there more often!!!

Reviewed May 23, 2014 via mobile

Please note I am reviewing the upstairs cafe, the more casual venue. The dinner salad with mint was exceptional. While my main course of salmon was perfectly cooked, very tender, it was uninteresting. My dinner companion's meal of shellfish and calamari was much more interesting, with flavors building and combining to make that main course memorable.

Wine recommendations paired well with food, and desserts were well done, not overly sweet.

Aside from one disappointing main course, and a harried, though professional wait staff, the experience was a good one--just not quite as good as we were expecting, given the reputation of the restaurant.

Been to Chez Panisse? Share your experiences!