“Consistently great”

Iyasare
Ranked #18 of 808 Restaurants in Berkeley
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Inspired by the artisanal ingredients and simple, rustic flavors of his native Tohoku region, chef-owner Shotaro Kamio blends the obscure with the familiar for surprisingly extraordinary tastes. Craft beer, wine and sake. Seasonal, local farm-sourced ingredients. Comfortable, casual indoor and patio garden seating. Iyasare-Berkeley... be healed.
Reviewed February 5, 2019 via mobile

Japanese cuisine with Californian ingredients blend at this quaint but busy Berkeley restaurant. The small plates included a wonderful smoky eggplant with miso a delight for the senses. SAKE YAKI a
cedar plank grilled, tamari-konbu cured scottish salmon served on shimeji mushroom and baby bok choy. I had the yam dessert which not too sweet and perfect for my palate-perhaps a crunchy element with it would have been great
I will be back !

Date of visit: February 2019

Reviewed January 27, 2019 via mobile

My friend and I had lunch on a Sunny Sunday at this restaurant. We have been to O Chame which was the previous restaurant located on this site. It was a totally different interpretation of Japanese food.
The restaurant decor is understated and calming. There is a patio dining area that faces busy Fourth Street where you can take your dog.
We chose to dine inside. The servers are pleasant and helpful. I ordered a lime-ade and my friend ordered Oolong tea. The menu is simple, salads, donburi, plates to share, and three kinds of ramen. I read reviews that the portions were large so we decided to split the tempura and Sendai miso ramen.
The ramen came first. The broth was delicious with great depth of flavor, obviously cooked for a long time, the noodles were perfectly cooked. The server forgot to bring us the spicy sauce, but it did not need it. The tempura was unusual in that the veggies and shrimp were combined. The dipping sauce was just right.
We both enjoyed the meal, the ambience, and the service.

Date of visit: January 2019
Reviewed January 16, 2019 via mobile

I went to this establishment the other rainy day without a reservation at approximately 12pm and was told that there would be an hour and a half wait. To say I was upset, would most definately be an understatement. I returned today, after making the appropriate reservations, SCORE! First I would like to give Kudos to my Server, the Awesome Rachel, who should be used as an example for what EXCELLENT CUSTOMER SERVICE, is all about. She was pleasant, friendly and took the time to explain what some might feel is a complicated menu, Me. I can't remember the exact names of the dishes I had, but they were all outstanding. The, simple salad with miso dressing, delish, Unagi, teriyaki salmon, to die for. But the Tempura Surprise, my name not theirs, UNBELIEVABLY DELICIOUS. definately going back.

Date of visit: January 2019
Reviewed November 13, 2018

Overall, this is an excellent “fine dining” restaurant. The food is carefully “designed”...sometimes .over shadowing tasting a mouthful of food. Most dishes were flavorful and portioned appropriately. The only dish that did not get executed to its known high standards was the bacon wrapped mocha....The soft texture mocha did not complement the bacon. Of 11 dishes ordered...that was the only disappointment....Very inventive Japanese inspired cuisine and i’m sure all restaurants of this genre push the limits of the dining palate..The only other observation - Some appetizer portion sizes seemed large while others while others small....but entrees were plentiful

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed November 12, 2018

Great spot in Berkeley for tasty Japanese cuisine. We shared one Sendai miso ramen with an ajitama egg. The broth was delicious and the noodles were cooked to perfection. The ramen dish is plenty for two. We also shared a kakiage with tiger shrimp. It was also cooked to perfection and is one of my favorite tempura dishes. I would go back for either. The service was also excellent. We were seated at the bar with a great view of the kitchen and could watch the staff work in harmony putting together all the delicious dishes.

Date of visit: November 2018