“Great Food, But . . .”
Review of Iyasare

Iyasare
Reserve with OpenTable
Iyasare is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 703 Restaurants in Berkeley
Cuisines: Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Inspired by the artisanal ingredients and simple, rustic flavors of his native Tohoku region, chef-owner Shotaro Kamio blends the obscure with the familiar for surprisingly extraordinary tastes. Craft beer, wine and sake. Seasonal, local farm-sourced ingredients. Comfortable, casual indoor and patio garden seating. Iyasare-Berkeley... be healed.
Oakland, California
“Great Food, But . . .”
Reviewed May 23, 2014

when I arrived at 11:30AM to a nearly empty restaurant and asked for a table for one, the host informed me there were none available, so I sat at the bar. I had a great - and expensive - meal and a good server, but when I turned around to leave, the place was still nearly empty. There were many more than one table available the entire time I was there. If Iyasare wants to be considered a top rated restaurant, then the service should be top rated as well and that includes considering your guest's preferences. I don't like sitting at the bar with my legs dangling and it would have been very easy for the host to sit me at one of the small tables. I won't be back. There are too many other great places in the area.

• Visited May 2014

Novato, California
“My Japanese Wire Loves This Place...”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

...and so do I!

I was saddened when O'Chame closed, but what filled the space is AWESOME!!!

This is one of the best 'Modern' Japanese venues for an awesome meal. We were there on a delightfully warm mid-March afternoon and took advantage of an outdoor table.

We over-ordered to try and get a larger sampling of what they do and my goodness, what an absolute delight.

Just as impressive as the quality, taste and presentation of the meal was the very attentive wait people and servers.

This is a MUST TRY restaurant in our book.

• Visited March 2014
Los Angeles
“modern Japanese food”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

The food is delicious. The service is excellent. The ambiance is wonderful to hang out with family or friends.

• Visited January 2014
Berkeley, CA
“A Glorious Find”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Outstanding flavors, each dish, served family style to share, a visual piece of art.
Outstanding attentive service from all staff, with detailed descriptions given of each of the dishes we were served.
Outstanding relaxed ambiance in a clean simple modern decor.
The 5 chefs and sous chefs in the small kitchen - a scene of Zen tranquility.
3 of us shared 4 dishes and 2 desserts with 2 drinks each and we left bellies and souls satisfied.
And as we are blessed beyond reason to live less than 10 minutes away, we'll be back over time to try all of their offerings. IMO one can't go wrong with any choice on the menu.
My wishes for Iyasare - that they become a Berkeley institution.

• Visited January 2014
Issaquah
“An Introduction to the Pleasures of Japanese Cuisine”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Our evening here was filled with new taste experiences and new appreciation for the creativity of an outstanding chef. From the Nasu Misa (utterly melt in your mouth eggplant) to the Beet Cured Ocean Trout (the smoothest, creamiest "gravlox" I've ever tasted) to the Herb Oil Poached Cod (another melt in your mouth taste sensation) to the extraordinary coffee from Verve, Santa Cruz, this was one of the most delightful evenings we've ever enjoyed. Lovely service, and a wonderful introduction to real Japanese cuisine.

• Visited December 2013