“Awesome burgers, fries, and shakes”

Barney's Gourmet Hamburgers
Ranked #46 of 741 Restaurants in Berkeley
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Every once and a while, I need to ignore health concerns and have a burger and fries, and Barney's is a great place to do that. They have a huge menu of gourmet burger options, including turkey burgers, veggie burgers, chicken, and also have many salads available. But when I go to Barney's, I prefer the regular beef burgers. I can't eat here without having some of the seasoned curly fries (with ranch dip), and sometimes I'll share a shake with my husband. A half-order of the fries is plenty for 2 people to share.

Reviewed May 30, 2012

It was late. I read the menu on the web and called ahead. I ordered the Parisian burger on lettuce instead of bread.

I was told that it would be ready in ten minutes. That was an accurate estimate. I arrived about 30 seconds before my order was bagged. The staff was friendly, helpful, and knew how to do their jobs.

The Parisian comes with raw onions and crumbled blue cheese, but the cheese is not melted over the patty! The lettuce that they used was Iceberg, and it would have made excellent packing material to return a damaged computer for service. The patty was thin, small, and much too expensive for a burger such as the one I bought, and I can't imagine that any gourmet or gourmand would knowingly choose to eat them.

The folks who claim that Barney's serves good burgers probably wouldn't recognize a good burger even if it should bite them in the bum.

Will I return? No. Will I recommend it? No.

Reviewed April 19, 2012

Often my wife dine here after a hard day.A pleasasnt atmosphere and nice service, but it is the food that brings me back. The Santa Fe burger is amazing and Barney's will also do a Santa Fe chicken breast, which is tender and juicy. Three types of fries ( curly, sweet potato and steak fries) that are all terrific but its hard to decide which ones. If you have been fasting, have all three.
Terrific value!!

Reviewed April 6, 2012

Best burgers EVER-- and I’ve never seen so many different kinds of burgers before! I love that they do gluten-free burgers (wrapped in lettuce) and they have sweet potato fries (low GI)! YUM. reasonable price. I also love my vurgers medium or medium rare, and they do it right.

Reviewed March 28, 2012

Food was great. They were happy to split the large portions. Service with a smile. Restrooms not great though.