“Wish this was in my neighborhood”

Troy greek cuisine berkeley ca
Ranked #84 of 741 Restaurants in Berkeley
Cuisines: Greek
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Troy has good Greek food served quickly at a good price. The decor is surprisingly elegant. The menu is firmly simple, featuring souvlaki and gyros on platters or as entrees. The house hot sauces are quite nice. If I lived closer I would eat here often.

Reviewed January 7, 2014

Hadn't been on Solano Avenue for a year and was happy to see a new Greek restaurant where Farrari Bros. had been. I was there on New Year's Day and had a nice lunch of a Mezes plate that was enough food for 2 people as a light lunch. The plate featured hummus, babaganoush, olives, falafel and pita bread. We also ordered a horiatiki salad and some retsina. All the food was delicious. Then we finished it off with baklava and Greek coffee. My only complaint was that the coffee was extremely small, even smaller than an espresso cup. But otherwise I enjoyed the food and the casual setting. I was also happy to find that the horiatiki salad did not have lettuce as so often happens in the US. Nice place for lunch.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

Troy is a new favorite of ours. It is reasonably priced and has great food. Even when they are busy (which is most of the time) we have never had to wait more than about 15 minutes for a table. We usually order food to-go and appreciate the way they always get the order out fast. My favorite dish is the Lamb Kapama. Braised lamb chunks in a tomato sauce on saffron rice. My husband always gets the Beef Souvlaki. The Dolma are the best I've ever had! The Mousaka is also very good.

We are happy to have such good Greek food so close to home.

Reviewed September 21, 2013

First of all, it's important to understand that there are two Troy restaurants in Berkeley - one on College Ave (south of the UC campus) and a new one just opened on Solano Ave in North Berkeley (in the old AG Ferrari). We've gone to the one on Solano three times in the last month as my very picky teenage son loves their food.

It's a really nice layout, with about 7-8 tables. My son likes to sit at the bar (perhaps to watch A's and Giants games on the HD TV or maybe to gawk at the pretty waitresses and owner). We've ordered the souvlaki, the gyro, and the falafel balls and greek salad as appetizers. As others may have mentioned, they do have this funny habit of serving food quickly. It seems strange because it's a nice sit-down restaurant, but they never rush us to finish - this is good given that it's a really comfortable place to sit with friends and chat.

Everything we've eaten has been excellent - perfectly cooked and seasoned. What's most remarkable are the incredibly reasonable prices. They actually offer two sizes of the souvlaki (~$7 and ~$9) - two people can eat for less than $25.

We plan on making Troy a regular stop for good food at great prices in a comfortable setting. Such a great addition to Solano Avenue!

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We've needed a good Greek place that has souvlaki for a long time in Berkeley. Try does not disappoint: the pita was soft and tasty, the sauce-to-greens-to-meat ratio perfect. Service was friendly and fast. Found one on Solano AV.
A second visit is planned. Soon.