“Southern food flair...”

San Francisco, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Southern food flair...”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

This was a highly recommended restaurant by a friend who loves their fried chicken and my husband loves fried chicken. Also, we were excited that this is a new restaurant with good menu options.

Overall the experience was good, not great. The woman who sat us was very friendly and told us what we could expect to hear about the menu, their "everyday" happy hour specials etc., setting our expectations of what was to come. When the waitress came by, she brought food and drink menus but not the happy hour menu. Someone else noticed we didn't have the happy hour menu and brought it over. That seemed to be the trend for the evening--the waitress seemed tentative and unsure while others who stopped at our table took note of what we needed and acted, taking away our dirty dishes, for example.

The menu has many choices from meat to vegetarian. One meal that was particularly intriguing to me was the vegetarian Swiss Chard enchilada. I didn't end up ordering it, but that's definitely my pick the next time we go there. The famous fried chicken was good, if not a touch too greasy. The flavor of buttermilk hit the mark if you've never had buttermilk fried chicken. I had the Blackened Flounder with a corn and salsa mixture that was quite good. The flounder was cooked to perfection--flakey and juicy with the right amount of "blackening". The Farmers Market salad was also very good. It would have been even better with farmer market nectarines that had flavor. Mine didn't. The Chop Salad was also very good--great lime dressing!

The atmosphere was lovely--old style building with green and black on the walls. Very inviting. We were there early enough that it was hard to determine the noise level if the room was full, but we had no trouble hearing each other.

Every time we try a new restaurant, the question is always "would we go back?". The answer this time was yes! There are many other options to try on the menu. And when you go, the Ginger Vanilla Sweet Potatoes are a MUST! They are fabulous!!

• Visited September 2013

Tel Aviv, Israel
“Next Door, literally!”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

I tried "Next Door" shortly after they opened (May 2013). Clearly, the staff was still getting adjusted (our waitress forgot to place the order for our appetizer) but the place had a warm, funky and clearly neighborhood vibe. I was visiting a local resident who lives just up the street and I was wiped from a busy day. I was glad there was a great place to walk to for dinner. The menu is limited, but we had the "rib-eye" steak with mashed potatoes and grilled asparagus which was the special of the day. It was great and only $21, it beat a $42 sirloin I had a a "steak place" earlier in the week. The butterscotch custard was the perfect finish. I loved the place - friendly folks, tasty food and good value. I hope to be back.

• Visited May 2013