“Wonderful bread!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Irvine, California
“Wonderful bread!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

We ate at a very small place right next to Acme Bread in Berkeley, where they served the bread with their food, or as part of their sandwiches. I can't remember if the small eating place was separately owned and named, or not! Afterwards, we went into the bakery itself, and purchased some bread for our trip back home.

I'll review both the food we had there, as well as the bread, and heartily recommend both. The menu had a nice selection of panini and open faced sandwiches, bread with a variety of spreads (my husband even had a duck rillette), and bread, salami and cheese trays. All accompaniments like lettuce and pickles were very fresh and tasty. There was excellent coffee, I had a latte served with artistic flair, and great cookies, including ginger and chocolate. To make up for forgetting to serve us one item, they gave us a free cookie.

Seating was outside under a rustic shade, which, although it was right next to the parking lot, still seemed pleasant.

The bread was truly wonderful, and when I went in to purchase some, I thought the prices were especially reasonable. It's difficult to get rolls with a nice crackly outside crust that are still easy to eat, and these qualified. They had a very large selection, and it would have been tempting to take home 10 different kinds of bread or rolls, but I took two kinds of rolls, a crusty plain roll, and "cross" buns that weren't hot, but did warm up nicely in the microwave. I also took one of the "wheat" loaves that looks like a stalk of wheat and breaks off into separate pieces just right for individual servings.

This was just right for a nice lunch in Berkeley on a warm spring day!

Visited May 2013