“Brennan's”

Add it.
Brennan's Restaurant
Ranked #71 of 719 Restaurants in Berkeley
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Good food, casual atmosphere, good place to meet friends and enjoy the food and a cocktail, can get a little loud

Reviewed November 27, 2012

I first ate at Brennan's in 1969. I try to eat there every time I visit Berkeley. While things were somewhat the same, I found that the Chinese-speaking employees had all been moved out and Spanish-speaking individuals had been moved in. Times change.

The one thing I was disappointed in was that the restaurant has not kept up with the modern diet and so they are going to go the way of all things that don't change. Evidence of this was that when I asked for a plate of turkey and some lettuce, instead of the line person saying okay and dishing me up some food, they began to haggle over pricing with me. I found that very insulting and annoying. It made it less than a satisfactory experience.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

went there for lunch on our last day of holiday.Iordered the turkey sandwich along with two other sandwiches with two coffees yes the sandwich looked nice but when paying was told $39 for three sandwiches.I don't think this was good value at all and if i ever go back to berkeley will certainly be giving this place a huge miss.Still can't believe the price

1  Thank gerard q
Reviewed October 27, 2012

Our son took us to this place for dinner and now we go back every time we visit there. It's cafeteria style, and they give you generous portions of things like turkey, dressing, gravy, sliced roast beef, good vegetables, etc. It is a sports bar also so if you go when there's a game on, it's quite lively. Our son says they have a great bar also. The prices are also reasonable for that part of the country.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

Anyone who goes to Brennan's expecting attentive waiters and beautiful plate presentation is going to be disappointed. This is an old-fashioned steam table hofbrau, which provides consistently hearty and tasty comfort food at a very reasonable price. Smiling short-order cooks plate each meal, and pass it to you across the counter. The dining room is large, warehouse-like and brightly lit with a number of big screen televisions playing a variety of sporting events. The bar stocks dozens of beers in the bottle and on tap. Daily specials are on a blackboard (does anyone really order chicken a la king?), but there is always excellent corned beef, roast beef, ham and turkey. If you want only dark meat turkey, they will cut off a remarkably large portion for you, with mashed potatoes, stuffing and (my only gripe) overcooked vegetables. Not elegant at all, but the food is properly cooked and comforting. Brennan's is one of the last of the "working man's" restaurants, which used to exist by the dozens in San Francisco and Oakland. It is a throwback to another era, and has absolutely nothing in common with Berkeley's "gourmet ghetto" restaurants. I am very glad it is still around, though in a new location in Berkeley's old train depot.