“Beautiful View” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Skates on The Bay

Skates on The Bay
Reserve with OpenTable
Skates on The Bay is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 692 Restaurants in Berkeley
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: University Ave.
Transit: The AC Transit, #9
Description: Skates on the Bay is known for their fresh market ingredients, innovative menu, and spectacular views of the bay, Golden Gate Bridge, the Bay Bridge, and San Francisco. This beautiful and historic waterfront gathering place for fresh seafood and unmatched views of the San Francisco Bay, recently completed (April, 2012) a major interior design renovation, including the addition of a new raw bar, glass-walled private dining room and innovative menus. Originally opened in 1983 in the Berkeley Marina, the reimagined Skates on the Bay is a stunning restaurant to enjoy cocktails at sunset, late night Happy Hour, weekday lunch, weekend lunch or brunch with the family or dinner with a date any time of year.
Plainfield, Indiana
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Beautiful View”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Beautiful view overlooking the Bay with the Golden Gate Bridge and Alcatraz in the background at sunset. The entire restaurant was booked for a conference I attended. The food was awesome and staff very friendly and accommodating.

Visited April 2013

Valdosta, Georgia
“Great View and Even Better Chowder”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2013

I ate there during a recent business trip since its location was in walking distance of my hotel. I am glad I took the stroll because I had a great dining experience. Since it was Sunday, I was there for brunch. I got a nice view with a great view of the pier, bay and SF in the distance. My server was prompt, professional, and friendly. I started with the clam chowder, and I could have stayed with it as the entire meal. It was a pretty generous serving and it was rich, creamy, and smoky with a good balance between clams, potatoes, and applewood bacon. It may have been one of the best chowders I have ever had, and a starter I would heartily recommend to anyone planning to dine there. I had the open face crab sandwich, which was very good and quite filling, but was sort of second fiddle to the chowder. It comes with fries which were...well, what can you say about most fries? It was quite good, though. All of this was washed down with Langunits IPA. When travelling solo, it is nice when I am not treated as a second-class citizen, and I can certainly say I was well treated here. Nice table, great view, good service, very good food, and an unhurried dining experience means I will be back next time I am in Berkley.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Pleasant Hill, California
“Service poor/food mediocre for the price”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

Check your bill and don't be in a rush!!!

We used to come to Skates years ago when we lived closer. Even back then, we felt the food was mediocre for the price and that you were paying for the view - which is fantastic by the way. We always preferred to come for drinks and appetizers and not a meal.

Unfortunately, the same is still true. We had long waits for chowder and Seafood Louie's which didn't have to be cooked so shouldn't have caused the delay. The place was not packed and the waitress even admitted that the cook staff were not busy - just slow/lazy. The Seafood Louie was missing the prawns that were supposed to be included (which we did get after asking for it) and then we were overcharged a total of $12 (which we had deducted) due to some "issue with the register". If there had been only one issue, it could be overlooked but not with this many issues.

Maybe it was a bad day but it seems like management does not have a handle on their people and service. There are better places for prices like this. Stick to just drinks!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Jonathan F, General Manager at Skates on The Bay, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your past experience. We are sorry that we did not exceed your expectations and we will certainly address the timing issues regarding the execution of food with our culinary team. We are always striving to make it happen for our guests and hope that you will try us again in the future.
San Jose, California, USA
“Beautiful view”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2013

We had drinks, appetizers and dessert in the bar area. It was a very busy place on Saturday, so reservations for dinner are highly recommended. Our waiter was very attentive. We were able to see the sunset while having cocktails. A little pricey but worth the visit, we met some friends who live in Berkeley.

Visited April 2013
piedmont
“dinner at the Bay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

This Restaurant is at the west end of University Ave. in Berkeley, Huge windows let you see as far as the Golden Gate Bridge to the west and south to the S.F./Oakland Bay Bridge as well as north to the Richmond Bridge.
Good menue selection of meat & fish, as well as wine . Dinner price slightly high.Noise level slightly high, but still like to linger and watch the sunset over the hills of Marin County.