“Attractive Lunch Alternative”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Cafe Rouge - CLOSED

Cafe Rouge
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Hearst St
Chicago, Illinois
“Attractive Lunch Alternative”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

Indoor and outdoor service. Attentive waitstaff. Average menu choices. The address is a little deceiving as it is really not on 4th Street, but down the side street about 200 feet to the west. Not special.

• Visited July 2013

Norbury, United Kingdom
“great food, shame about the service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I was in a party of 6 which dined at Café Rouge on 25 May 2013. I had wanted to visit for a while, I thought the menus looked interesting and although a meat themed restaurant, there were some interesting salads and veggie dishes which some vegetarian friends would like.

The food lived up to expectations. Good roasted Bone marrow (perhaps not as tasty as St John in London), tasty trout salad, large and well cooked rib eye steak and the vegetarians were please with their fettucine.

The big let down was the service. The restaurant was far from full and there were plenty of wait staff. It took ages for our order to be taken, a trout salad was given to one of the vegetarians. Eventually the plates for the starters were cleared away but then, a waiter started wiping down the table and presented us with the pudding menu. We pointed out that we had not yet had the main course, which arrived - correctly - eventually.

Any one of the service failures would have been shrugged off, except perhaps the overall slowness but the range of issues left us somewhat perplexed and suffering sense of humour failure. A great pity because the food was good, even if they did not have English mustard.

1 Thank William T
Durham, North Carolina
“Good, as expected during busy lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Nice place to stop and grab a charcuterie plate around 2 pm. The place was packed, mostly with ladies shopping and small tables of business lunchers. It was a little noisy. The charcuterie plate was quite good. I felt a little rushed.

Fairfield, California
“It's Okay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

Daughter took us there for lunch for an early Mother's Day celebration, it was our second time there. Each time my daughter selected the restaurant.

The atrmosphere is very noisy and crowded. I wasn't impressed from my first visit and was nothing changed for this visit. I had sole fillet, my husband the roasted chicken and my daughter the soup and salad. The food is average and really overpriced. They pride themseleves on a seasonal menu, but for me they miss the mark on creativity and taste.

Overall, the experience as okay but not worth the price.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Looks good on paper, but...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

This is one of those restaurants that when you read the menu, it sounds so poetic and wonderful, and when you get the dish, it is nothing like you thought. I have been twice, and both times I was very underwhelmed. It is just so,so.