“Great Food!”

Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bancroft
Transit: 3 Blocks South of Downtown Berkeley BART Station, more information at http://www.venusrestaurant.net
Description: Venus features the best of our local foodshed, from local farms, waters and ranches, served in warm and lovely style in the heart of Downtown Berkeley. A favorite dinner spot for theater goers, Venus devotes itself to local and organic purveyors, creating delicious Northern California style dishes. The wine list focuses on bio-dynamic, and sustainably farmed grapes, and a "New World" style of wine-making, where the fruit expresses itself. An open kitchen and banquette seating create a cozy vibe. Chef Amy Murray is a 15 year veteran of the organic, farm-to-table movement. Menus are created each month to highlight the best of the season and evoke good appetites. Venus also serves a unique brunch and lunch, and offers uncommonly good beer, wine and light cocktails. We are happy to do small parties and buy outs, and tasty lunch catering.
Reviewed February 20, 2013

My husband and I ate here for breakfast last weekend while visiting Berkeley for a few days. This was our second visit to this restaurant, the first time being a few years ago and also for breakfast. The menu lists a tempting array of dishes and it was difficult for me to choose. I decided to go with the Indian Brunch dish which sounded unique. The dish came with scrambled eggs with peppers, tomatoes and Indian spices; chapati bread; pancakes with shredded vegetables and a banana raita and mango aioli. The eggs and pancakes were cooked well but I found the chapati to be a little greasy and rather tasteless. The meal was okay but I probably would not order again as I would prefer some of the other menu items. My husband had the eggs benedict and they were beautiful; silky looking eggs on homemade english muffins. He said that his breakfast was very good. I had a very good hot chocolate with a delicious whipped cream topping. Everyone's meals around us also looked very good. The service is excellent here. The problem with this restaurant is the closeness of the tables and therefore the restaurant which is not very big seems cramped and loud as it has always been full when we have been here. The atmosphere does not invite lingering over the meal. It seemed that we waited for our breakfast longer than it took us to eat it. Prices are also not inexpensive, but the quality of the food is very good. I would probably give this restaurant 3-1/2 stars, but the menu choices so great, food quality and service quite good that I choose 4 stars. We probably will not come back though, because of the crowded tables at this restaurant. I would recommend Venus though if you want to try some very good food at a popular Berkeley restaurant.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

I love small restaurants like Venus. Here the wait staff knows their dishes well and trys hard to understand your likes to match the best dish for you. The staff also knows their wine well. I recommend a visit.

Reviewed January 10, 2013

Ate here with a large group. I had a fish entree which was excellent. I was on business travel and was lacking in vegetables in my diet (I lose patience with salads - they don't have alot of actual vegetable content). I asked if they could make me an appetizer of steamed broccoli. They asked if I would take roasted broccoli and cauliflower. I said sure if it was not so much fat. They made me a lovely small plate of this food it was cooked very well and not on the menu. Service was good considering that we were a large group. One of my colleagues ordered muscles and was not so happy with that dish but mostly people in my group were quite happy with the food. It appears as a bistro style with close together tables but was surprisingly comfortable at the noise level when we were there.

1  Thank mybusinesstraveller2
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Delicious breakfast special: scramble with seasonal vegetables, including roasted delicata squash and forest mushrooms. Home fries may have been cooked a tiny bit too long, but the taste was good. And the raspberry preserves with the biscuit were a terrific end to the meal. A but pricey but worth it for a breakfast or brunch to savor.

Reviewed December 23, 2012 via mobile

Had breakfast with family and had the best healthy pancakes! My husband said the venus benedict was the best! Cozy place