“excellent”

Venus Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 696 Restaurants in Berkeley
Cuisines: American
Good for: Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bancroft
Transit: 3 Blocks South of Downtown Berkeley BART Station, more information at http://www.venusrestaurant.net
Description: Venus features the best of our local foodshed, from local farms, waters and ranches, served in warm and lovely style in the heart of Downtown Berkeley. A favorite dinner spot for theater goers, Venus devotes itself to local and organic purveyors, creating delicious Northern California style dishes. The wine list focuses on bio-dynamic, and sustainably farmed grapes, and a "New World" style of wine-making, where the fruit expresses itself. An open kitchen and banquette seating create a cozy vibe. Chef Amy Murray is a 15 year veteran of the organic, farm-to-table movement. Menus are created each month to highlight the best of the season and evoke good appetites. Venus also serves a unique brunch and lunch, and offers uncommonly good beer, wine and light cocktails. We are happy to do small parties and buy outs, and tasty lunch catering.
st paul, mn
“excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2012

Organic, local food; small venue with limited menu but absolutely unforgettable. Waitstaff was attentive and the dishes were packed with flavor. I was just visiting the area, but would definitely return. Healthy and fresh. You won't be sorry!

• Visited July 2012

Greenwood, Indiana
“Small, eclectic, very good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

Had a great meal with business friends earlier this month. The menu is not outrageously extensive, but all of the choices were appealing. They have a lot of organic and sustainable choices, and everything was cooked deliciously.

Visited July 2012
Richmond CA
“Wonderful, small, freindly and delicious”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

This is a small, pleasant restaurant on Shattuck, convenient to the movie theatres and UC Campus. It is a great place for lunch for one or dinner for two. There isn't much room for a group. The food is delicious and healthy, the menu is varied, and the staff are friendly.

Oakland, California
“wonderful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2012

I have been wanting to come to Venus for many months, as a Pagan girl myself, I am so curious to eat where its named after the Goddess of all Love. "Venus". A place to eat that serves not only organic food, also sustainable and grown by local farmers, including all the meat and fish. No freezer or microwave.. and of course filtered still water.

My friend is visiting from Scotland, so we thought Venus a good choice as neither of us had ever been there. I love to explore new places every month.

A simple yet welcoming interior, we get to choose where we sit. A spacious table for 4, so the two of us can spread out. Excellent attentive server from England, a bright lass with a mane of blonde curls.

We start with a yummy salad of golden and red beats served chilled on a thick bed of goats cheese, which tops a bed of olive oil drizzled arugula, delicious. My friend had a yummy crostini, which she was also delighted with. I love water with my food and my glass was never empty.

For our main courses, I chose the special, seared scallops with mashed potatoes and saute' of summer vegetables. The scallops were sweet and tender, mashed potatoes to live for. My friend had the sea bass in a delicate thai coconut milk sauce, atop a bed of seared yummy greens, it was so yummy.

We had drunk a bunch of wine earlier so opted out of wine for dinner.

A serendipidious moment of asking my server who was cooking, she told me a name and then pointed to a blonde woman sitting over by the door and said she was the owner and main chef. I said hello on my way out the door and that moment led to two more hours sitting with her and her publicity/marketing friend, tasting several wonderful organic, bio dynamic wines and tasting some wonderful cheeses accompanied by bing cherrys cooked in sugar and lemon and pistachio nuts, what a divine combination. What a delightful being she is. I love that there is a place, that is totally organic and seasonal. Often I pay similar prices for non organic food, without the consciousness that seems to be offered at Venus.

It was my first time at Venus and I'm sure I will be there many more times to come. The evening was delightful in all ways. Thanks for a great night Venus.

• Visited March 2011
“Great impression”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2012

The team of Venus made may firs diner in US really special, thank you. ;)