“Nice Faux French Berkeley Breakfast Spot”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of La Note

La Note
Reserve with OpenTable
La Note is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #8 of 696 Restaurants in Berkeley
Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Home Style
Cross street: Durant Ave
Transit: Downtown Berkeley Bart station 4 blocks away
San Francisco, California
“Nice Faux French Berkeley Breakfast Spot”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

Not sure what all the hype was about at this breakfast spot in Berkeley. First of all, they didn't take my favorite card - American Express. I never leave home without it! LOL Second, they didn't have "fresh squeezed" orange juice. Third, the pastries are not home made, but from a bay area bakery called Semifreddi's. Don't get me wrong, Semifreddi's bakes some great bread and pastries, but I was expecting some great homemade - La Note made pastries. Not so! The lemon gingerbread pancakes were worth a try, but wouldn't be recommended. On the positive side, the restaurant has nice decor and nice homey feel. The service was on par with other three star palaces. Nothing exceptional! The omelets were nice and fluffy and the home potatoes were caramelized, crunchy, soft, and tasty. Some of the best I have had recently. The house potatoes had some nice grilled and caramelized garlic that was excellent, too. The garlic went very well with the potatoes. The table next to us had the French toast, which looked really good, and we should have ordered them. Sad face ☹. If you go for breakfast on Sunday, expect to wait about 40 minutes. We did and after our name was called, the wait was about 60 minutes. After the breakfast we went down to Berkeley Bowl, the best grocery store in Berkeley and bought some fresh squeezed OJ.

• Visited November 2013

Charlottesville, Virginia
“another wonderful breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

We ate breakfast at La Note last Fall when we visited our daughter at Berkeley. We had such a wonderful meal we opted to return again a year later, and we were not disappointed. The food and service were both terrific.

Warsaw
“Votum separatum...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

I am not a fan of La Note. I know this restaurant gets good reviews and I understand why people may like it. But I don't favor places that pretend to be something else somewhere else. And even worse, if this pretending is far from original...

La Note tries to imitate French style. Being from Europe and commuting to France for couple of years, I can clearly say, this restaurant has nothing to do with the ones you can find in France. Apart from interior that pretends to be French, nothing in the menu reminds me of Paris. Omlettes, eggs sound little European, but do not look like. Needles to say I havent eaten even decent criossant anywhere in the US and La Note is no exception. And the have no fresh orange juice...

So while accepting this votum separatum from wave of great reviews, enjoy the good position you have anyway :-)

1 Thank Mike D
Carlsbad CA
“Great food and atmosphere. But not worth the wait on weekends.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

I've eaten 3 times now at La Note. I think it's the best breakfast that I've tried in Berkeley. We recently returned during Homecoming weekend on a Sunday morning. We arrived at 9 am and the wait was 45 minutes. The wait would have been longer except that the staff opened up their patio for dining.

I love this establishment's food, but it's not worth that long of a wait. Granted, Berkeley was bustling that weekend. I suggest trying La Note on weekday mornings.

Oceanside, California
“Worth the Wait!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

On every trip to the bay area, we have a weekend breakfast at La Note. It is always crowded for breakfast/brunch and a 45 minute wait standing out on the sidewalk is not unusual. But, the food is so good! Have had the specialty pancakes on occasion, as well as a traditional scrambled eggs with breakfast potatoes and good bacon. The Salad Nicoise is excellent, of course! The place is very small, although there is outdoor seating in the back.