“OK Gourmet Ghetto Breakfast”
Review of Bistro Liaison - CLOSED

Bistro Liaison
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hearst
Transit: Downtown BART two blocks South of Bistro
Killingworth, CT
“OK Gourmet Ghetto Breakfast”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

Went to a great party catered by these guys the night before so we had very high expectations for our breakfast, but we were let down a just a little bit. Not that anything was bad, but it certainly wasn't stupendous. Ate outside on a beautiful Sunday morning which was nice. The waitress started with "Bon Jour" but when we replied in French she inexplicably switched to English. The mimosas were okay, the olive bread was good and the baguette was soft and mediocre. The traditional omelet was overstuffed and imbalanced with rectangular chunks of thinly sliced ham that detracted from what should have been a delicate treat. The poached eggs on crab cakes were very good. And the ile flottante for dessert was really very good. All in all it was a pleasant place for breakfast, but nothing truly outstanding--good, but just a little bit disappointing.

• Visited April 2014

New England
“Lovely lunch”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

Nice french bistro in convenient location. Kitchen noise and guest talking is quite loud, but the food is excellent. Loved the salads.

• Visited February 2014
“Elegant Lunch”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

It sits on a relatively quiet neighborhood corner, but not a drop-in Bistro by normal standards. (This is Berkeley, after all.) If you order wine and three courses for lunch be prepared for a hefty check. But for a special occasion lunch it is a superb choice. Excellent cuisine in a true Continental atmosphere. The service was very French as well: Distantly polite, efficient, and knowledgeable. No server here would ever say " I am Pierre and I will be your server today", or (heaven forbid) squat at your table to take your order. Definitely on my radar next time in town.

• Visited October 2013
San Francisco
“Delicious as usual”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

We dined here during Berkeley's restaurant week and enjoyed the fixed price offering.
We arrived early (6:30) and by the time we left, the restaurant was packed.

I enjoyed the mussels and trout almondine. The trout was perfectly cooked and the almonds added a nice crunch, but the sauce was lacking in flavor. My wife had the goat cheese and beet salad an the coq au vin. They were both very good. We had the bread pudding for desert.

There is a nice selection of wines by the glass, and we saw a several people ordering some of their signature cocktails.

The service was fairly good.

• Visited January 2014
California
“Disappointing”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

The appetizers were excellent--my wife had a spinach salad, and I had the crabcake--and we were looking forward to the entrees. However, here is where we were disappointed. My wife's sole stuffed with crab was overcooked. I had the sea bass with Brussels sprouts. Sea bass, having a bland taste, needs a good sauce. Here, the sauce was just adequately forward. But the sprouts, having been boiled and not adequately drained, leaked water into the sauce. The result was that the sauce was thinned and had lost its taste and texture.

If a single dish is flawed, I tend to accept the possibility of it being an aberration. Where the two main dishes are flawed, I feel something is wrong in the kitchen. There are too many excellent restaurants in Berkeley for me to return to the Bistro.

• Visited December 2013