“Awesome dining experience”

Ajanta Distinctive Indian Cuisine
Reserve with OpenTable
Ajanta Distinctive Indian Cuisine is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 713 Restaurants in Berkeley
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: The Alameda
Reviewed December 11, 2011

My wife and I went to this restaurant because of the good reviews on Tripadvisor. It's right on the main street in Berkeley. Is is a VERY authentic Indian restaurant. We were greeted at the door by the owner, turbin and all. The staff was extremely helpful and explained any dishes on the menu that we were not familiar with. Try their chai tea - it's great. I love lamb dishes and was not disappointed. Their use of spices is wonderful. My wife doesn't like spicy "hot" and the waiter was very helpful in his recommendation of a chicken dish to her. One way you can tell how clean a restaurant truly is is by how clean the bathrooms are. They were spotless, as was the rest of the restaurant. You could eat for as little as $10 with some of the meatless choices. The value for the money on the rest of the dishes is very good. The only thing maybe lacking is the atmosphere. Not that it is bad, but due to the small size of the restaurant all of the tables are in one room, about 25x70. But this is not a big deal, and certainly didn't take away from the wonderful experience. Be sure to include a visit to this restaurant if you are anywhere near this area!

There are newer reviews for Ajanta Distinctive Indian Cuisine

Reviewed December 8, 2011

It's the sauces...they're incredible!!! You have to savor them. I've been to Ajanta countless times because I live in the area & I've always had fabulous meals. It takes a while for the waitstaff to get to know you & smile, but they do a good job.

Reviewed November 25, 2011

Wow! Totally great food and very attentive service. This is my favorite Indian restaurant. The vegetarian selection is terrific. The condiments/chutneys are quite authentic as I discussed them afterwards with a friend from India who smiled and laughed when I tried to describe the salty pickly one (sorry, I don't know what it's called). That particular chutney wasn't my favorite and I like that. I like it that the owner(s)/chef(s) aren't afraid to offer authenticity to Americanized palates. Thank you Ajanta, for sharing a truly delicious and authentic experience.

Reviewed November 3, 2011

We love Indian food and we love Ajanta. We've been coming for years and have never been disappointed. I love their lamb korma and most of their lamb dishes are amazing. But we also have a veggie friend who comes and she loves it as much as we do (the veggies not the lamb). The staff is great and it's a sweet atmosphere. If you haven't tried it yet, you should!

Reviewed October 31, 2011

Without doubt this restaurant serves the best Indian food in the San Francisco Bay Area. We've been coming here for years and have never been disappointed. Great menu with varied selections catering to different tastes. A gem at the top of Solano Avenue.