“UNSANITARY & DISGUSTING”

Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch
california
“UNSANITARY & DISGUSTING”
Reviewed August 16, 2011

As soon as I entered I see one worker only. The cook is eating ,handling money, handling food, and taking orders...Top Dog Berkeley, MONEY is DIRTY and has BACTERIA! when a food handler receives MONEY, he receives BACTERIA. The BACTERIA is pass onto food and customer. UNSANITARY and DISGUSTING don't eat here!

• Visited July 2011
3 Thank Diam0ndBar

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Ga.
“Best hot dog in the world for 40 years, a model libertarian business.”
Reviewed March 25, 2011

I've been dining at Top Dog on Durant Ave. in south Berkeley (and on Hearst St. in north Berkeley) since before I had a driver's license, when junior high school friends and I took the bus to Berkeley in the late 1960s. Having lived out of state for decades, I'm irresistably drawn to Top Dog when visiting the East Bay Area like a moth to the flame. The main change in 40 years is that now music is played from an iPod instead of a radio or tape player.

The menu's expanded slightly, but my old favorites remain; I like too many to name them all, but my favorite these days is the Louisiana (beef with four peppers, moderately spicy).

I've always appreciated the tax being incuded in the price - currently $3 a dog. The tasty grilled seeded buns are perfect for hot dogs. All three mustards offered are worth sampling. Top Dog's one of my most cherished constants and my number one dining guilty pleasure.

• Visited February 2011
2 Thank MiddleAgedSkierHiker
LA, CA
“Top Dog Rocks for this Old Lady!”
Reviewed October 4, 2010

reminds me of college days. Dogs are good too! You have to go there just to get the 'feel' of real Berkeley. Open late, just the place to go when dinner just wasn't that good!

1 Thank canyonlady
“Best Hot Dog I've Ever Eaten!”
Reviewed July 26, 2010

By far the Louisiana Hot Link at Top Dog is the best hot link I have ever eaten!!! Seriously it is just amazing. Also, try out the Lemon Chicken Hot Dog its awesome! The place is very small but I think its perfect to get the real experience of Top Dog from the cook yelling out the door way to take orders to the condiment stand in the back. You have to try this place to give it credit as I know you will be telling a friend or two about it after you have a bit to eat.

2 Thank SmilingHospitality
“This is a TOP DOG!”
Reviewed June 19, 2010

I was staying at the Hotel Durant in Berkely and right down Durant Ave was this Hotdog joint, TOP DOG. This is one of the best hole in the wall Hot Dog joints I experianced. It is very small, standing room only. there is no clear ordering line, if you don't speak up the counter server will skip over you and take the next persons order. It is funny and entertaining, don't be offended, it all in jest.

They have all kinds of Hotdogs from your traditional beef frank to Garlic, Hot Link, Brats, Chicken, maybe 10 diffrent dogs. The also have Potatoe salad, soft drinks, chips and Chili which can be had as a side order or on any dog for just .75 additional. They have all the hotdog lovers condaments with 4 diffrent type mustards, hot (well warm)sauerkraut, fresh chopped onions, relish. All self serve. They do not make a chicago dog.

I had a beef Frank ($3.00), that I loaded up on, and potatoe salad ($1.50) which was good.

This is a must try place.

1 Thank HPXC