“Graduation Celebration”
Review of Rivoli Restaurant

Rivoli Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Rivoli Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 726 Restaurants in Berkeley
Cuisines: European
Good for: Scenic view, Local cuisine
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Neilson
Transit: North Berkeley BART
Description: Rivoli strives to be a hands on, moderately priced restaurant with simple and creative food, carefully selected wines and comfortable service in a warm and lively atmosphere. Rivoli’s distinction comes from the heart and soul of its owners and staff. The menu relies on what is seasonal, local and fresh, using mostly organic produce, sustainably caught fish and naturally raised meats and poultry. The wines are selected for their affinity with the food, and offer the best values from the cooler regions of California and the Old World. The dining room staff provides friendly and attentive service and the chefs and cooks are skilled artisans of their craft.
Reviewed September 22, 2013

We ate at Rivoli to celebrate my son's graduation from UC Berkeley. It was a great way to top off the day. Everyone's meals were fabulous and the prices were fair. No complaints at all. Beautiful atmosphere too. I would definitely eat here again.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

As the Michelin guides explain, even in a 1-star restaurant, you’d be best off ordering the dishes they suggest. Other choices may not be up to the highest standard. By contrast, at a superior place you can expect whatever you order to be wonderful – and so it was at the Rivoli. Three of us went. Because the menu changes biweekly, recommendations of what to try would not have been helpful. So, we just ordered, and were delighted with the results.

The room space is envy-inducing. One wall is entirely glass facing out onto a lush, forest-like garden. No bugs, just beauty. Would love to have a living room like that!

On what we ate – bearing in mind that the menu may never be the same:

Appetizer – Portobello sticks fried crisp with Romano shavings, arugula and a crème fraiche dipping sauce. The 3 of us shared it.

Mains – I had grilled shrimp with fabulous heirloom tomatoes, avocado, greens and a savory bread pudding. Wonderfully flavored. The wife had Yellowtail with a “summer ratatouille.“ The fish melded into the accompaniments. I tried it and thought it was excellent. Our son, something of a finicky eater, had veal brochettes with prosciutto – also, it turned out, a happy choice.

Dessert – we shared a nectarine/berry crisp, ala mode. Yum!

Wine – The least costly Pinot Noir on the wine list, a Calera (@$45) was crisp, delicious and had a wonderful bouquet.

We hope to return to this great place soon again!

FYI, the space is not large. Reserve well in advance if you want to be seated earlyish. We were lucky to get an 8:15 table on a Saturday night, only calling that afternoon.

1  Thank TerribleIvan
Reviewed August 12, 2013

This restaurant is highly rated, both on Trip Advisor and Yelp. For good reason. The ambience is excellent, with a wall-to-ceiling window facing a beautiful garden area. The service is friendly and highly efficient, and the food was uniformly excellent. If is on the menu, try the mushroom soup!

1  Thank nippnsc
Reviewed July 25, 2013

Nice, relaxing garden view and the food was fantastic!! They rotate the menu every few weeks and this was my first visit, so I can't wait to come back. I had the pork roast and it was incredible, best pork I ever had. Very tasty, wonderful blend of flavors, perfectly balanced. I was here o business and dining alone so I didn't get to try other dishes, but mine was great. The only cons: the tables are a bit tight, luckily I went fairly early before it got too crowded. The bread was cold and dry, which is their intent, but I personally prefer warm and softer bread, but it was still good.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

This restaurant had outstanding reviews and I now know why! Every morsel of food was delicious, the service was fantastic, the ambience was just as good, the room and view of the garden were beautiful, and it wasn't even expensive. I had dinner with my cousin and both of us were ecstatic about our experience. We both had different seafood meals and every part of the main course was scrumptious. This is in addition to fantastic sour dough bread, which for someone from the Midwest is a real treat. And the salad was also delectable!

I haven't been to the San Francisco area in years, but next time I'm there, I know where I'll be eating. I recommend it to everyone!