“The best Chicago stuffed pizza you will ever eat in California”

Zachary's Chicago Pizza
Ranked #3 of 713 Restaurants in Berkeley
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Always the freshest ingredients and is just out of this world, a medium stuffed pie can feed three or four easily with a salad. I definitely recommend the spinach and mushroom if you are a vegetarian, meat eaters I highly recommend the chorizo special, mmmmm, so good! As long as the special occasion is a small gathering you are good in Berkeley, for a larger venue try the San Ramon restaurant off of Crow Canyon, same quality food, enough room for very large parties.

There are newer reviews for Zachary's Chicago Pizza

Reviewed July 14, 2013

I went on a very busy Saturday night and there was a short wait, but since I was traveling and was alone, I was able to get a small table while others waited longer than I did. The wait for the pizza wasn`t too bad, mayb 20-5 mins. I had the stuffed style and it was a bit like an inside out pizza, which is their trademark. The toppings are inside on one layer of crust, then another layer of crust, then the pizza sauce, which is chunky and very tasty. However, I felt the bottom layer was a bit overcooked, it was difficult to cut through it and it tasted a bit flavorless. It was not burned, but very close to it. The flavor of the pie overall was pretty good, the sauce overpowered it a bit, which was probably ok since the sauce was pretty good, but I would have preferred a bit more balance. I hardly noticed the other toppings. The service was fine and even though it was crowded I did not feel out of place or rushed. I just can`t quite justify 5 stars for something that met my expectations, but not whole lot more.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

I LOVE pizza, and I especially love Italian spiced tomatoes. So when I first tasted Zach's deep dish pizza, I was in heaven. This is a place so good I travel out of my way to get here whenever I am anywhere near the east bay. It's often crowded and you can't possibly eat a whole pie, so plan for that. We brought an ice chest for the leftovers. Seriously, this is perhaps the best pizza I've ever tasted. Oh, and by the way, I tried pizza in Chicago and New York, at several different places. No, no, no - Chicago can do meat and cheese, but not veggies and herbs, and NY can't do pizza at all. Don't believe that silly hype about trying Ray's because all of them suck the big apple. California is the state that gets it right. A great pizza is only as good as the stuff you put on it, and the west coast has the best produce in the world, and California is the best place in the west for tomatoes, basil, etc. - so it follows, the best pizza is in the warmest west coast state.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We have always enjoyed Zachary's pizza in Berkeley, but were rather disappointed with the one they opened a number of years ago in San Ramon, Ca. Now they have opened a new one in Pleasant Hill and we tried it out this past weekend. We were not disappointed!

We had the barbeque chicken deep dish pizza. It was scrumptious with plenty of tomato sauce, cheese and flavor. They might add a little more chicken, but otherwise it was superb. They are located directly across for a theater which will not doubt prove an asset. Their décor is not particularly fancy, but this is a pizza join, so what should you expect. We both ordered salads, which were tasty but a little small for the price; and a been and wine, which were both large for the price.

This is probably the best pizza place in Contra Costa. We will be returning to try their other selections in the near future.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Zachary's pizza is so tasty and so filling. There cannot be a better pizza place around. Very busy spot so you better get there early for a table. We ended up doing take away last time but it was still fabulous!