“We love the Rep!”

Berkeley Repertory Theatre
Ranked #7 of 90 things to do in Berkeley
Reviewed August 8, 2017 via mobile

The plays presented every year are very diverse .some are funny and some are very serious . Always there is a high level of professionalism. We have been season subscribers for way over a decade!
We look forward to the next season17/18

"great actors"
"pre broadway"
"production values"
in 2 reviews
"high level of professionalism"
"live theatre"
in 4 reviews
"stage"
in 14 reviews

Reviewed July 18, 2017

This theater is a real treasure in Berkeley. It offers a variety of plays, some brand-new and others that are well known. The theater is semi-circular, which offers good sight
lines from all seats. The size, not too large or small, creates an intimacy which enhances the experience. There is a bar adjacent to the theater, where you can drink/eat before or after the play. A lovely way to spend an evening.

Reviewed July 10, 2017

I felt a sense of delight. Seriously, my being filled with joy and I left the theater with a new beat inside my heart. The universal themes of love, honor and dignity held my attention. Yet, the true focus for me was listening intently to the stand-out voices of Namit Das (Dubey) and others. I loved the colors, dancing, direct talk to the audience and the fresh language! Truly a fun evening-- thank you, Berkeley Rep, for taking me off my couch and into a new world.

Reviewed June 24, 2017 via mobile

We frequented McCarter theatre in Princeton regularly and after discovering Berkeley Rep we are so pleased to have found our artistic niche in the hood. We went for the Monsoon Wedding musical by Mira Nair. The compactness provides an amazingly intimate watching experience. The sound system is perfect. We look forward to visit this theatre to see performances for several date nights to come.

See more reviews
Reviewed May 26, 2017

It's hard when you're a larger theater and you want to take bold chances -- you still have to fill the seats. But I think the Rep has figured out how to program to do both, and they have two auditoriums to do it in: the Roda, with the traditional layout of stage in front with all seats facing forward, and the Peet's, with the stage "thrusting" out into the audience and seats angled around three sides. The Rep does world premieres like the recent musical "Monsoon Wedding" (buoyant and topical and incisive and magical all at once), plays with stunt casting to get people in the door (Conleth Hill as Macbeth and Frances McDormand as Lady Macbeth), wonderful holiday shows for the whole family like "Treasure Island," and the difficult plays that address current issues but aren't inscrutable and don't beat you over the head about it. They've found a good balance, their production values are always high, and the casting is uniformly excellent. If you have a chance, go see a play. You'll rarely be disappointed. The Rep is right in the heart of downtown Berkeley, a block from the BART station and near many excellent restaurants.