“A nice motel”

Knights Inn Berkeley
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
Reviewed June 4, 2013

My wife and I stayed here on a visit to my niece's graduation from Berkeley. Some family members stayed at a 5 star hotel in town, but we opted for a less expensive option. We were pleasantly surprised at the quality of this motel. It had been newly renovated, and was super clean. The management is very friendly and helpful. There is a small offering for breakfast of coffee and a sweet roll, but while not filling, it is a nice touch and seems to expense the owners hospitality.
The location is also close to the main part of town.

On the down side, making the reservations was a little uneven, and the water pressure (in the otherwise beautiful bathroom) is low. But, we would gladly stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed March 7, 2013

This is an inexpensive place that's nice to hole up for a week or so if you are visiting the University or just staying in town a little while. It's close to the North Berkeley BART station (about 3 blocks south) and less than a mile from the west edge of campus. There's a "microfridge" in each room for saving and reheating leftovers. The rooms are small and don't have too many accouterments, but they are very clean, and the owners are very friendly.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed October 7, 2012

I informed the manager in the office (male) when I checked in that I needed to be able to make a long distance call from my room. That evening the long distance on the phone was still not hooked up so I went to the motel office and I asked again to be able to make a long distance phone call from my room; I had told them it was an important call . The manager (male) SCREAMED at me at the top of his lungs in a long winded ranting diatribe!
I would NEVER want to stay in the Capri Motel in Berkeley EVER again. I literally would not wish this "motel" on my worst enemy !!
(At the bottom it asks the reviewer it they have photos; I took a photo of the Screaming manager of this motel but since my stay was a while ago , and i needed room in the memory card, I deleted it in favour of a more pleasant memory .. like Hurricane Katrina ! )

Room Tip: Ask them to wash or dry-clean the Bedspreads before you book a room !
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
4  Thank A J
Reviewed September 5, 2012

First, they charged me $25 extra for my 15 years old child. They said to me, " this is America, only child under 12 is free." I asked to show me any
written documents, they showed me a paper that wasn't in English.

Second, the room is very small, I ordered 2 Queen size beds, but one was not a queen size and one side was leaning against the wall.

Last, the motel is on a busy and noisy street, we could hear truck pass by all night.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Lucyu27
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Delightful Motel and management. Completely unique interior design with special touches: Hand-painted striped wall, beautiful draperies and bedspreads. Excellent granite shower and sink. toilet is in a crazy position. ''Lotions, shampoos and toilet paper is of excellent quality.suitable for five star hotel.

Management was delightful.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Patricia F
Reviewed August 6, 2012

This is an older motel in which the rooms have obviously been renovated very recently. My room was small, but tastefully decorated, comfortable and sparkling clean. There's plenty of parking and the location is perfect for visitors to both Berkeley and San Francisco. It's just a block and a half to BART and very accessible to Shattuck Ave. (downtown), Telegraph and the University. Staff was helpful. I'll certainly stay at the Capri again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I stayed here on my road trip. I thought the room was neat and clean. The free Wi-Fi was a bonus, worked perfectly!!! Staff were friendly too. I paid $95 and loved the room. I usually look at the room before i purchase and I did this with the other hotels on University Ave and this was the cleanest and nice by far. I would definitely come back.

Room Tip: Rooms in corner are nice
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends