“A great garden”

Berkeley Municipal Rose Garden
Ranked #12 of 87 things to do in Berkeley
Reviewed October 12, 2012

This is a public park in Berkeley that certainly could use some funding. It is a great spot. My husband and I spent a week in Berkeley and on one of our morning walks we took a stroll through the garden. We were there in late August, so the roses were not at their best, but we could imagine their greatness.
The garden is a series of concentric semi-circular terraced rows cascading down the side of a hill. The rows are separated by stone walls. Unfortunately the walls are in need of repair. There was a volunteer weeding and removing dead buds when we were there, so there is hope for the garden to continue.
It was a peaceful walk and a great end to our morning adventure. I would love to visit when the roses are at their peak.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

The place you go for a beautiful view. My wife and I almost got married here. You can reserve the area for your wedding, however you can't stop people in walking through. That's the only reason we didn't get married here. Go and see for yourself and hopefully it's not on a foggy day. But it it is, you'll enjoy the garden as it is. Enjoy.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

This garden was built by the WPA in 1937 and houses about 3,000 rose bushes. The stadium like appearance of the garden makes an attractive appearance. However, a lot of the roses in the garden show obvious signs of lack of care. I hope this gets rectified by the volunteers that work in the garden. It was once great and can be again.

Reviewed August 18, 2012

There are many lovely roses but they all looked rather stressed and most were covered with powdery mildew - probably hard to fight with coastal fog. Wish I lived closer so I could volunteer!

Reviewed July 31, 2012

Volunteers are bringing this rose garden back to its former glory. Built during the WPA years some of the terraced steps are slipping, but the roses are just beautiful! Get here in May or June!