“Great Family Restaurant”

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Channing Way
Transit: Bus and BART are nearby
Description: Giovanni Old World Restaurant *est 1961* a Berkeley institution. Orginal owner and his family happily came back after a twenty year absence to carry on this third generation tradition.
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We had the pleasure of dining here after my son's graduation from CAL. Our server was the owner's daughter and she took great delight in making sure we were well taken care of and helped us to order what she considered their specialities. We began with bruschetta and calamari both of which were outstanding. I believe the bread and pizza dough are made in house and are truly delicious. Our dinners consisted of Fettuccine Alfredo with chicken, Frutti Di Mare,
Fusili & Prawns,Chicken Parmesan all of which were equally delicious. We indulged in a cannoli for desert which was the perfect compliment to our celebration champagne which we had brought in and they quickly placed on ice for us. All in all, it was an excellent evening with exceptional service and tasty authentic Italian food.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

I took my mom for an early-ish birthday dinner on a Wednesday night. I used to come here as a "treat" dinner with friends many years ago, but have not been recently. We were very pleased with the good food and great service! All the pasta is hand made and tastes wonderful, I had the lasagna and it was packed with meat and cheeses. The ricotta was smooth and rich, not like the grainy stuff you sometimes get. It was a sizable portion served with a well cooked vegetable medley. Mom had Chicken Marsala, and the sauce was really wonderful! There was enough left over that she even had a take home box. The bread was served warm and very yummy! The waitress was attentive and available the entire time & the prices were reasonable, from $9 - $18 for most dinner entrees. 5 noms!

Reviewed October 23, 2012

Great Italian food and service, for a reasonable price. The original owner sold this restaurant several years ago. When the new owners were not successful, the original owner bought it back and reopened, to the delight of many. As a matter of fact, he will still greet you as you arrive. My favorite is the Fettuccini Alfredo with shrimp....YUM!