“Disgusting”

Nash Hotel
Ranked #16 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
Clovis, CA
Reviewed May 16, 2006

Where to start? Dirty floors, bugs, clerk asleep at the front desk, no free parking, paper-thin doors and walls, beer cans and god knows what else under our bed, sharp metal objects sticking out of the carpet, and overpriced rooms. Avoid this place like the plague!

Stayed: January 2006
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Vancouver
Reviewed December 9, 2005

I cannot believe the positive reviews I am reading on this site, reviews that make the Nash Hotel sound like a quaint, charming oasis in the heart of Berkeley. THIS HOTEL IS A FLEABAG. A DIVE. A RAT HOLE. The room are filthy (my bathtub hadn't been cleaned in months, and a layer of black dirt covered the windowsill), the furniture in the rooms is rummage-sale quality (nothing like the photo that is posted on this site), there were dead flies galore in the ceiling light shade, and the staff behaved like lifeless zombies. The entire atmosphere of this place is dark, seedy, and depressed. I felt uncomfortable from the moment I arrived. BE WARNED. This hotel requires payment in advance, and you cannot get your money back should you decide to check out early. STAY AWAY.

• Stayed: November 2005
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed October 2, 2005

I just spent a week at the Nash much to my dismay (couldn't find another place to stay after the first night). Aside from my price quote over the phone being rejected by the management, the room was filthy (mold in refrigerator, spider webs in all corners, dirt on sheets, etc.) and the attendant yelled at me for my toilet not functioning because I "put toilet paper in the toilet." I would just avoid the hassle of the management and squalid conditions and stay elsewhere further away from campus.

Stayed: September 2005
Santa Clara, CA
Reviewed September 3, 2005

I have just spent 3 nights there and I really like the place. It is so convenient to everything and the price just as good as you can get.

Well, for sure this is the place you want to try out and I am sure you will like it.

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled on business
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed July 10, 2005

Stay away from this hotel. My boyfriend and I don't lare used to living on a budget and avoid spending unnecessarily on hotels but this place is not worth saving money. And when you factor in the private bathroom it is not that great of a deal. I listed some of the cons below.

Cons:
-Stained pillow cases
-Sheets smelled like burned wood
-No parking
-Front desk receptionist gave us a hard time for checking in late (although we told her we would be in late)
-Private bathroom is $30 more
-Rodent traps set in the room made us believe that there was an infestation of some sort

Find something else in the area if you can.

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled on business
San Jose, California
Reviewed June 11, 2005

Based on the good reviews on this site, we took a gamble to stay at this hotel for one night. We were not expecting much, but got even less. The elevator smelled and not worked well. The room was exactly as other described. We refused to walk on the carpet barefoot and didn't dare sit on the bedspread. And,we didn't like the surley lady behind the counter. This hotel gave us the creeps.

Stayed: June 2005
San Francisco
Reviewed April 20, 2005

After waiting a 25 minutes, I was checked in to my reservated 'single shared bathroom' room last night. Returning from the dirty shared bathroom, I found a death mice on the bed, covered by the sheetes. Asking the manager for a switch of the room or a refund, she said, "With that price, how do you expected it to be?"___Yes, for a downtown Berkeley hotel room, $39 a night per person is a good deal, but, I can't sleep with a death mice, can you?

• Stayed: April 2005