“Pay the extra $20 to stay elsewhere.”
Review of Super 8 Berkeley

Super 8 Berkeley
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
Austin, TX
“Pay the extra $20 to stay elsewhere.”
Reviewed July 8, 2007

My husband and I chose the Campus Motel because it was inexpensive and the review in Blue Moon said that the rooms were clean and comfortable. What we found when we arrived at the hotel was quite different. The location is noisy, the door had no weather stripping, and the general condition of the room and furnishings was very poor. The $20 or so we saved per night by staying here rather than at a nicer hotel was not worth the uncomfortable bed, unfriendly staff, and poor experience we had in lodging here.

My recommendation is to stay in another hotel and possibly even another area of town if you are interested in walking to restaurants, etc at night.

• Liked — Nothing.
  • Disliked — Condition of room.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
6 Thank Austin_Cavalier

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Korean first
California
Reviewed September 1, 2006

Do Not stay here. I only reserved this motel because my trip to Berkeley was unexpected.

but, DO NOT STAY HERE AT ALL COST.

#1. When I went out and came back to my room, MY ROOM DOOR WAS WIDE OPEN! When I told the front desk about it, they became ANGRY at ME INSTEAD!!!

#2. I arrived at the motel, and they told me the room wasn't ready, hence I had to wait an hr for the room.

#3. It's dirty and shady!!!!

I feared for my safety while staying here at hotel.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — breach of privacy, rudeness
  • Tips/Secrets — do NOT STAY HERE
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7 Thank hotelsreviews

Travelers are raving about these Berkeley hotels

Washington, DC
Reviewed June 13, 2006

My family (two adults, one baby) stayed at the motel last week, and we were pleased that both the rooms and the bathrooms were very clean. The staff was accomodating, although at first it seemed like they were a little brusque: the first room that we reserved, with just a double bed, was too small to accomodate the portable crib that we brought along for the baby. Ultimately the staff permitted us to use a larger, more expensive room for the same price. While they seemed a little grumbly when we presented the problem of the room being too small for the crib, they were gracious and helpful in everything else. Two important things to note: once you make reservations, the motel has a No Cancellation policy; and there are no bathtubs but only showers (important if you want to give your baby a bath). In sum, this is a good, reasonably-priced and centrally-located place to stay in Berkeley if you are looking for a clean, no-frills motel.

• Stayed June 2006
1 Thank DCBureau
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed October 11, 2003

This motel is an older hotel, which is in moderately good repair. We looked at it as a possible place for our wedding guests but decided against it. The unit we looked at smelled old, and shag carpeting, and was dimly lit. Granted this was 7 years ago.

I believe they rent out by the week, and seem to be less of a going concern. There is a brand-new Holiday Inn Express right down the street on University Ave. which I would recommend instead.

In Berkeley, cheap lodgings are hard to come by, and the Campus Motel fits the bill as cheap. The quality level is low however. You might do better by trying newer hotels and asking for discounts instead.

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 26, 2003

I first stayed at the Campus Motel when I was considering applying to the University of California, Berkeley in Fall 2002. My family and I were looking for relatively affordable accomodations (not easy to find in the bay area) that were also comfortable enough to come back to. The Campus Motel offers both. With rates varying between $60 and $80 per night (depending on the time of year and local events), the Campus is cheap enough to fit almost any budget. The staff is friendly, and the rooms are comfortable. I have since been admitted to the University, and now attend classes there, but I continue to make use of the Motel when friends and family come to visit, and don't hesitate to recommend it to everyone coming into town.

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member