“This motel is clean and the staff friendly. My room had...”
Review of Super 8 Berkeley

Super 8 Berkeley
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
Reviewed July 25, 2013

This motel is clean and the staff friendly. My room had recently be renovated with beautiful granite tiles, countertop, and shower. Location is very good unless you're walking then it's a mile plus to the main street (Shattuck) or the nearest shopping area (4th Street). There's a Trader Joe's two blocks away and an excellent coffee shack about the same distance in the other direction.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
tiny1980, General Manager at Super 8 Berkeley, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Thank you so much for enjoying our service and taking the time out to give us postive feedback. Our super 8 staff is always happy to give great service. When our Super 8 customers are happy, it puts a smile on our super 8 staff. Please come back and enjoy of warm waffles and out superstart breakfast. Im happy you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms and our fast internet.

There are newer reviews for Super 8 Berkeley

Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husband and I stayed here last weekend and had a great experience. The room was spacious and clean and the bathroom was spotless. We checked in after midnight, since we had to drive up from Gilroy after work on a Friday. The front desk manager was so helpful. He really went out of his way to make sure we had a good experience. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
tiny1980, Owner at Super 8 Berkeley, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Thank you for staying away on your get away weekend plan! We are deighted to always have you at our motel. Please come back soon and we are truly happy you are part of the Super 8 family. We are truly super duper happy you enjoyed your stay with us and you were happy. Please come back soon and have a blessed day!

With much resoect,

Reviewed July 15, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Super 8
tiny1980, Owner at Super 8 Berkeley, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Reviewed July 11, 2013

I stayed in this motel this month with my wife. Liked the service. Our flight was late mid night however when we arrived at motel manager was there to greet us. He was awesome. Helped us carry our luggage to our room. Later when our ac was not working around 1 am night he came to our room and fixed it. He was very helpful. Next day in the morning there was a super breakfast. Small but very organized. Rooms were cleaned and got service every day. Next day when we came back we were little late but we lost our key. We had to rang the front office door at 12am around. Manager was there again with smile. He gave us a new key immediately. Overall great service and awesome stay. Will go and stay again.

• Stayed: July 2013

Thank you for staying with us at the wonderful Super 8 in town. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay and our service. I know you checked in preety late we were open and we helped you with your bags in your room becasue you had a back problem. Please come back soon and we are happy you enjoyed the great breakfast and the fast interenet. We are our 24 hours and we are honored to have helped you. HAve a bless day!

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Booked this hotel on Expedia, which advertised a 24 hour front desk and free breakfast. When we arrived at 11 pm after a 13 hour drive from Seattle, the office door was locked. I had to ring a bell and wait fir the attendant to come to the office and buzz me in. My husband later witnessed some ladies standing outside the office, locked out, shouting to the attendant that they needed a key. Strange! When I inquired about the free breakfast advertised on Expedia, the attendant told me there was only tea and coffee in the room. He later called and said there were pastries. They did end up having a very minimal continental breakfast, but I found it odd that I had to ask about it, and that he told me there was only tea and coffee at first. Perhaps breakfast is only offered to Expedia customers? The bathroom door would not open all of the way, the floor was raised and my husband stubbed his toe! Overall, not a great experience.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Sorry, you did not have a great experience at our motel. We are open 24 hours and we have a manager in the office 24 hours thanks. We lock the door after 11pm you could ring the doorbell, becasue there is a manager to buzz you in always 24/7. So I am sorry please come back you felt that wasn't good service becasue when you check out you mentioned you enjoyed your stay here. You said you enjoyed the room and service. I am confused! However, please come back soon we promised we will try harder to give you better service. Our goal is to make all our Super 8 family members confortable and welcomed. We are sorry, please come back soon!

management

Reviewed July 2, 2013

My wife and I were visiting UC Berkeley and decided to stay at the Super 8 for its location and price. Our flight arrived late, had problems with the rental car and then didn't get into the Super 8 until 4am. I rang the door bell and got b*tching of a lifetime from the annoyed front desk clerk. The Expedia booking said 24 hour front desk service. Now is it my problem that Expedia got it wrong? Or that I deserved a berating from company that I was patronizing? No and No.

The next morning I head out to see Cal and take our only cell phone out. I call the front desk to transfer me to my wife in our room and he not only refuses, he hangs up on me.

For checkout, the front desk clerk starts hounding us with phone calls to leave BEFORE the checkout time. Then he couldn't be bothered to get off of his fat butt to take the key from me and has me put it in the mailbox.

SERIOUSLY WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE PEOPLE? I will NEVER EVER stay here.

Room Tip: Don't stay here period.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Clint M
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed here as a cheaper alternative to staying in SF and it was fine. The room itself was very clean, with an outstanding bathroom, safe in the closet (which I'd recommend using) and a working, if noisy A/C. The room was serviced every other day and on the cusp of the nicer downtown part of Berkeley. It's a 5 - 10 minute walk to downtown Berkeley, which has a BART station, nice restaurants and a University town feel. Getting into SF using the BART is cheap ($7.40 return to Embarcadero) and takes about 20 minutes which is much quicker than trying to drive and park!

I probably wouldn't recommend staying here alone as the rooms feel a little bit exposed on the University Ave, but in general this is a decent enough 2-3 star place and fine for couples looking to do SF on the cheap side.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side have a fair amount of road noise.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
tiny1980, Front Office Manager at Super 8 Berkeley, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Thank you for staying with us. I know bart is only 5 mintues from us walking the NORTH berkeley station. please come back and enjoy the great service at Super 8. We are only 10 mintues to SF. We are happy you enjoyed your stay and you enjoyed our breakfast. Please come back soon!

With much respect