“berekeley freshman orientation”

Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
Grayslake
“berekeley freshman orientation”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We chose this location because it was close to Cal, but still a reasonable price. It's just a small motel, but it's clean, the bathroom was new, fridge and microwave and the parking is free. It was a little loud being on University Ave. but not a problem sleeping. A little bit of a hike to campus, and I didn't feel totally safe walking alone at night so I parked on campus for orientation. Good pizza place across the street.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

tiny1980, Owner at Super 8 Berkeley, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Thank you for staying with us at the Super 8. We appriecate your business and we are excited that you even came back to stay with. Thanks for being part of the Super 8 family. Congrats on your acceptance in berkeley university. We look forward for your family staying with us.

with much respect

management

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
  • Korean first
Los Angeles
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Excellent place to stay if you'd rather save money over staying in SF. The staff was most helpful, rooms clean and functional. When we forgot a child's toy they saved it and kept it until we were able to pick it up.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

tiny1980, Manager at Super 8 Berkeley, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Thanks for being a loyal Super 8 customer, we are truly honored to have served you in the best possible way. Please come back soon and enjoy of hot super 8 breakfast and our fast internet. We are happy to hear of Super 8 staff found your item and was returned to you. Have a Super duper day.

Manhattan Beach, California
Reviewed June 1, 2013

We have stayed here twice, and in the same room, as it is the only room in the joint with two beds. Our second stay was about two years after our first and frankly we thought it was another motel, not this one, because of the Trip /Advisor rating of 4-stars. How any seasoned traveler, or anyone for that matter, can give this place an average four-star rating is a mystery to me. The plant is very old with a fifties design. It does have very fresh yellow and bright blue paint and they do have a parking lot. That's the good news. The rooms are very small and just do not feel right. It did have two full size beds but you could not fall off the bed on the wall sides and I would have to fall side ways to fall between the beds (I am a 46 regular suit, but still!) The picture tube TV on the writing desk had been replaced by a small flat screen mounted on the wall. Unfortunately the desk clerk had to come show us how to adjust the angle of the cable modem perched on top of the set to the right angle so the channels could be changed. Fortunately it was cool enough in mid-month May that the air conditioner was not needed as it was directly next to my bed (Berkeley remember). Now to the bathroom. The good news is there was a Toto toilet and granite (classy Yuba Tuba). The bad news is they had granite, a lot of black granite in a very small bathroom (one person max occupancy). There was a small slab top on the single sink and slabs on three walls in the shower (forth wall was a glass door) and one-foot square tiles on the entire bathroom floor. I have never in any private, government, or commercial bathroom seen one-foot square granite tiles on a shower floor. If you go in there, make sure you are wearing your high grade non-slip shower shoes. I took one shower and that was more than enough for me (did not travel with shower shoes and was not going to get my sneakers wet). The rooms are all non-smoking with serious fines threatened for violation. But you have to walk by and through the smokers sitting outside theirs room smoking to get to your room so you still smell like smoke. The breakfast is a continental one taken to the extreme but there is a small refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker in the room. Finally to the staff and ownership. We were running a little late checking out because of a number of morning phone calls I needed to make. I went over to the office and asked for an extra 30 minutes to finish may calls. This was about 5 minutes to 11am. I was very gruffly told I could only have until 10 minutes after or he would have to charge my credit card for an extra day. I believe that was the real capper on out second and by far our last, ever, stay at the Super 8 Berkeley motel. I would have rated this place a one-star but there did seem to be some effort to improve and the beds were reasonably comfortable. But never, never, ever a four-star.

Room Tip: The best tip to choose a good room is to try another place.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
tiny1980, Owner at Super 8 Berkeley, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
First and formost let me thank you for stayinfg with us at the Super 8 and being part of our family. We are very happy you stay with us 3 times, even tough during your last stay we didnt meet your expecations. We are truly sorry for that I understand and respect your opnion, however everyone is entitle to how they feel while they lodge at any motel around the map. You write, "if you are desperate go for it!" Well, I feel you stayed with us 3 times that proves we are a 4 star motel. Thanks. You had a CHOICE to stay with us, and you CHOOSE to stay with us! SORRY!

Concerning the room you have stayed in twice before, you knew what you were getting and what amenities were being offered. you stayed 1 week nor did you mention anything to our front desk, we would have helped you with your concerns during your stay. everyday you guys seemed happy and we asked if your stay was great for a week you did not mention nothing wrong. we are truly sorry.

You mention you need a 30 mintues late check out, sorry it was graduation week- busy week of the year and we have people checking in early whom paid extra to check inn. sorry if we were not busy with graduation we would have given you a 1 pm check out thanks. sorry

In your review you did not say we had bad customer service, thereforethat shows we gave wonderful service to you guys and gave good room service as well.

you said we are 1 star not a 4 star.... in your eyes and your experience we might be 1 star becasue you felt the room was too small...... in all our super 8 customers we are 4 star we give good service and they love our rooms. Sorry, you felt that way..... I wish we could have made your stay better. However, if you decide to come back we will offer you 20% off your next visit. We are truly sorry the room was not to your expectation, however it seemed like you enjoyed your stay and service. You did not mention nothing during your checkout.

Sorry, please come back and give us another chance to make your stay better.

Management

Travelers are raving about these Berkeley hotels

San Diego
Reviewed May 18, 2013

The room was excellent. The bathroom spotless. The decor better than many higher priced hotels. Having a court yard to park my car was a big plus in the Berkeley area. The distance (3-4 blocks) to walk was fine for me but may be a problem for others.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

tiny1980, Owner at Super 8 Berkeley, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Thanks for enjoying your stay at the Super 8. I am happy you enjoyed the granite we insalled in the bathrooms. We are excited customers love the newly renovated rooms. I am happy you enjoyed the Palsma TV as well. Please come back soon. We always keep our rooms clean and fresh and good customer service.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed May 18, 2013

This was a good experience. The man at the front desk who we spoke to was very helpful! His name was Roy. I like the black granite in the bathroom and the rooms were clean and fresh! Thank you for making it a good experience and helping me and my friend, feel right at home!

:)!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
tiny1980, Owner at Super 8 Berkeley, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
We are happy you enjoyed our special gem in berkeley. Thanks for staying with us and enjoying our special price. Please come back soon and I am happy you enjoyed the high speed internet and the newly renovated rooms. Parking is free and I know you enjoyed that and the great service.