“Newly renovated- Still has the Berkeley Older building charm”
Review of Super 8 Berkeley

Super 8 Berkeley
Ranked #9 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
Reviewed September 25, 2012

OK, for the price. - This worked well for us as we were moving our son to Berkeley for his last semester just blocks from his new apt. - On the day of check out we were thinking of staying one more night & call the desk to see what rate we could get, we said we would have to think about it. The desk call back later that am because he had someone who wanted to book but wanted to see what our plans were first (very much appreciated). - When we call the desk, late evening, about how to work the CD player on the clock they were very friendly, and when they could not figure it out either she said the maintenance dept. would need to look at it the next day.

Room Tip: Back rooms are quieter
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
tiny1980, General Manager at Super 8 Berkeley, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Thank you for always coming back and enjoying the service at Super 8. We try our hardest to give the best service we can and we want to see a smile when you all check out. Please come back again soon and always have a SUPER DAY!

Reviewed September 25, 2012

It was full continental breakfast served hot every morning. We stayed there for a week. Loved it. Manager was very helpful. We didnt bother to show up late and complain abt more food...lol.....overall great stay.

• Stayed: September 2012

Thank you for giveing us positive feedback. Please come back to enjoy the wonderful breakfast we offer the Superstart Breakfast is a must at all Super 8. Thanks for being part of the Super 8 team. Have a great day.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

Clean, big rooms, but a little bit too dark. Quiet, though we had our window on the street's side. Very convenient location.
The owner/manager is indeed very unfriendly and rude, but we didn't really care about him. The breakfast room is much too small.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
tiny1980, General Manager at Super 8 Berkeley, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Thank you for the nice review, however the owner does not stay here. Also, I know you were upset becasue you got a street side and we couldnt move you so sorry. we tried and I think you felt we did not move your room so we were rude. we are truly sorry rooms are first come first choice basics. sorry

Reviewed September 17, 2012

The Super 8 is a decent location and was clean. I was excited about the reasonable price and although I saw another comment about the rude owner, I dismissed it. However, he was not very happy when we showed up at 11 pm (our flight landed at 10 pm in San Francisco) and he checked us in while he was dressed in an undershirt. We asked what time breakfast was and he told us 8-10 am. We were jet lagged and slept in and went to breakfast at 9:45 am. There was one tiny frozen waffle and some cold cereal out and when I asked if there was more food he said we were 'tardy' and should have gotten there "early" if we wanted to eat. I was shocked. He is the one who told us it was available until 10 am just the night before. He finally took a few more frozen waffles out of the fridge for us, but that was all. I saw him open the fridge and there was much more food - yogurt, cinnamon rolls, etc, in the fridge but he didn't offer us any and then shoved the trashcan in front of the fridge and told us we should have gotten there earlier. I asked him if he had a yogurt and he point blanked lied to me in the face and said, "no". The fridge had a sign 'do not open' on it but I couldn't believe he lied to me so I pushed the trash can out of the way and opened the fridge and said, 'oh, what about those?' There were probably 50 yogurts in the fridge. He started seriously yelling at me at this point. I was just completely stunned. I became so mad that he would treat us this way that my hands were shaking. He was unbelievably rude and when I told him that I would contact Super 8, he said "GO AHEAD!" and just kept screaming at me. I could not believe what was happening. Finally his wife somehow corralled him out of the kitchen and was super nice to us - offering us our choice of yogurt flavors and cinnamon rolls but I was so upset from getting yelled at. We decided to never eat breakfast there again. I don't have a problem with arriving at a breakfast early unless they tell me that it is still open and have food and STILL refuse to feed you. It was honestly the worst experience at a hotel I have ever had.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank TravelGirl123456_12

I am sorry you felt you wernt treated fair. However, in my records it shows that you came for breakfast after breakfast HOURS. So we can not serve after breakfast hours. we are truly sorry. second of all, the owner DOES NOT STAY here so that was a little strange in your story. Policy and rules are meant to be followed. sorry. breakfast is NOT served at 12 noon. You said someone yelled when you checked out you checked out by leavinf the key in your room you never came to the office. we have it to prove it. so we did not even know when you checkout. s that was strange as well you story DID NOT MATCH UP. I know you were upset becasue of the breakfast, breakfast is at 7-10am not 11am. sorry

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I stayed here because the Holiday Inn Express, just down the road, was booked. It was okay, the rooms are not the cleanest, old bedspreads, sketchy carpet, a bit smelly (maybe an overload of industrial cleaner or something chemical smelling). But it is a good location and a decent price (for Berkeley). The free breakfast is okay (although the breakfast room is super tiny).

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank SeattleCrazyhair
tiny1980, General Manager at Super 8 Berkeley, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

Thank you for staying with us at the Super 8. I recall when you checked out you said, This motel is better than the HOLIDAY INN, same amenities, closer too campus and wonderful beds. However, thanks for your business and please come again you are always welcome back to stay with us. Have a super day!

Reviewed August 29, 2012

Stayed here 4 nights and was pleasantly surprised. Had previously stayed at the La Quinta several blocks away and this was definitely much nicer. Exterior was neat and very clean as was my room. In-room safe was nice to have & was big enough for my 14" clunky laptop plus other things. Room had a brand new microwave & fridge in it. Had fast Internet. Fridge was almost silent. Didn't use the a/c so can't comment on it. Didn't have a car so I appreciated the 7-11 a block away and Trader Joe's 2 blocks away. Excellent coffee shop also 1 1/2 blocks away. The main street (Shattuck) is about a 15-minute walk but not bad - lots of restaurants, coffee shops, yogurt places - and the BART station up there. The office staff (Roy) was very helpful and pleasant. All-in-all a good place to stay - at least for a guy (my wife needs Marriott/Hilton level).

Room Tip: Would have given Service a 5 but they missed a wake up call on my departure day. Thank God I set th...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
tiny1980, General Manager at Super 8 Berkeley, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2012

Thank you for enjoying your stay with us at the SUPER 8! Please come back soon. I am happy everything worked out during your stay with us. Please come back we can provide excellent service again! Take care and have a bless day!

Reviewed August 23, 2012

I was in the berkeley with my friends for our reunion party. We were looking for a motel close by bart station and found the best one "Super 8". It was 5 minutes walk from bart and may be 10 minutes walk from downtown so we went to hang out and came back safely anytime during our stay. Best thing about Super 8 Berkeley was its customer service and its super clean room. It fascinated our experiences. Who would not want a super service with descent price and great location. We really enjoyed it. Hotel manager was great, he was polite and very helpful. Gave us some hints to go and hang out. He helped us to show the room and the room looks brand new and super clean. Moreover, we got service everyday in the morning while we were enjoying the full breakfast next to office lobby. Feels more like a home than a motel. Had an awesome experience. We are going back again on our next visit to Berkeley. I give them 5 star for the service they gave us.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank bruce h
tiny1980, General Manager at Super 8 Berkeley, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

We are SUPER DUPER HAPPY to hear about your stay! Please come back soon and enjoy your stay with soon. Our staff is great at what they do here and they keep everything clean. OUr staff works hard to provide excellent service. When we read reviews like yours, it motivates us to do better. Thanks come back soon!