“A good place to stay in Berkeley”

Berkeley Rodeway Inn
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
Reviewed May 18, 2008

We needed a hotel during graduation week at Berkeley - and we didn't want to pay a fortune for it since we don't really go somewhere to hang around at the hotel. Rodeway Inn was in the location we wanted and was reasonably priced. The rooms are small but the beds are comfortable and everything is very clean. Check in was quick and efficient. There's a nice little breakfast area with coffee, tea, juice, toast, muffins, cereal, etc, and free wireless internet service throughout the hotel. The people at the desk were extremely pleasant and helpful. I went to the breakfast room hoping to find some coffee in the afternoon - and although they really only have it available at breakfast the desk clerk offered to make some for me. There are plenty of restaurants within easy walking distance and the area around the hotel feels safe. It's a good place to stay if you don't need the fancy lobby, etc.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Berkeley Rodeway Inn

Reviewed May 13, 2008

The Rodeway Inn has become my favorite safe, clean, inexpensive place to stay in Berkeley. I've spent a total of 6 nights there, in 3 different rooms, over the last 2 months. The modest rooms have been recently rennovated, which helps a lot. The basic amenities are all available, including continental breakfast. The beds are comfy. There are a number of terrific restaurants right around, and an Andronico's grocery with excellent deli food right across the street. The standout feature of this motel is the unfailingly helpful, cheerful, friendly staff. They really understand what customer service is all about. I just wanted other travelers to know about this terrific little place to stay in Berkeley.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed May 13, 2008

What a find! I was on vacation, visiting family and friends, so the University Ave. location worked well for me, easy to get to and from. They maintain a high standard of service and cleanliness. There are restaurants, coffee bars, and a supermarket close by. I would stay here again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed April 20, 2008

I have to admit to being somewhat mystified about all of the rave reviews on Trip Advisor for this hotel. I thought it was a bog-standard motel and nothing more. The guy on check-in was perfectly polite and the room itself was quite large but other than that I thought it was deeply average.
Our room had a pretty unpleasant smell and it was quite cold. And please don't get excited about the breakfast. Yes, it's nice that they offer it, but it's right there in the reception (which has very little light), is essentially some cereals juice and coffee, and feels pretty down-at-heel. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, because, as I say, many hotels don't even bother but if you are visiting Berkeley on holiday I would do what we did and head to one of the nice cafes in town.
So, an OK motel, but not one I'd particularly rush to stay in again.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2008

We stayed here while checking out the local area while considering a move. The location was good, and the room was clean and quiet. I didn't think the location was questionable at all (mentioned by some). Free parking, free internet in the lobby, free breakfast. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank betterbeagle
Reviewed April 6, 2008

Stayed here on trip to SF rather than paying for something less good in the city of SF itself. Drive to and from SF no problem and this place was great value. Neighbourhood appears slightly dubious at first glance but then you see families or single women walking up and down the street and realise it's fine. Andronico's supermarket up the road likewise - when you get in it's excellent and very convenient for the hotel where there was a microwave and fridge/freezer in the room. Plenty of free parking. Friendly check-in, and there was free internet access with printing available in the reception. Room itself was really comfortable and all in good condition. All clean too. Surprisingly nice Neutrogena toiletries supplied. Breakfast selection large with numerous different breads, cereals and cereal bars, waffles etc. Not much seating but enough. Altogether thought this was excellent value, with the only omission being that there was no safe in the room. TIP: select 'internet user' as your rate programme on the website to get a discount for booking online. Berkeley itself also proved worth a look round, particularly the views from the hills behind. University campus difficult to find your way around though.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo
Reviewed April 5, 2008

I was impressed from the start! I read reviews of the hotel here and decided to give it a try. I was looking for a king or queen bed nonsmoking room, and after noting on the hotel's website the only available rooms for my dates included a non smoking double and a smoking king, I called the hotel directly to verify my options. The desk person steered me away from the king smoking, readily warning me that the two smoking rooms at the hotel were booked frequently and as such I would definitely notice the smoke smell. He also was very candid that the double rooms were pretty snug. I opted to book the double and put in a request for a king nonsmoking. The clerk made a note of my request, but suggested I call a couple of days before my arrival to check availability of the king. I did, and found the request had been honored, and my booking had already been changed.

The hotel is easy to find, and check in was seamless. The property is pleasant, the room clean, clean, clean. As noted by other reviewers, the rooms are small, but this did not bother me. A small refrigerator and microwave came in handy as did the free wireless connection. The only drawback is that it's difficult to completely darken the room at night--bring a sleep mask if a bit of light from outside bothers you. On the flip side, the property is well lit at night and safe.

Breakfast was standard continental--just fine.

Parking is free (and handy). BART is a quarter mile walk. I parked my car when I arrived and didn't start it again until I left, for a pittance taking BART (a super easy system to learn) both to San Francisco and the Oakland Coliseum .

My "excellent" rating takes into consideration the price for the S.F. Bay area, safety, and the hotel's proximity to public transportation I will definitely stay at the Berkeley Rodeway again.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled solo