“Close to downtown, clean, comfortable and friendly”

Berkeley Rodeway Inn
Ranked #11 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
Reviewed March 26, 2013

The hotel ticks all the boxes you'd be expecting for a night's stay. What struck me was the friendliness and helpfulness of the manager, which is actually why I thought I should review this hotel. That was exceptional and made us feel very comfortable from the first minute.

The motel is cheap and really close to the city (10 minutes walk). Definitely recommendable.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank L0nTrav
Kiran T, Manager at Berkeley Rodeway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

We will be sure and pass your wonderful comment about the manager on duty to our upper management team. Thank you for letting us know you enjoyed your stay at the Berkeley Rodeway Inn, and for writing the wonderful review. Come back soon!

Reviewed March 20, 2013

I have stayed at this inn on several occasions with good service and clean rooms. However, this is my first time staying in room 103. It was dark, had a foul odor, the heater was broken, the frig and microwave were broken and the bathroom was run down (mold in the tub) with poor access. I had booked and paid for my room for one week and these conditions were not acceptable. I asked the staff to look at the frig/microwave, and the broken heater (it was cold and wet outside.....I needed to have some heat). They did nothing! They did not even come to my room to look at it! Wow! Poor quality, service, and overall experience. I will not I will stay here again. And I will educated everyone I know on avoiding this place....not worth the risk. Disappointing.

Room Tip: If you decide to stay here you must be a gambler.....they do have nice rooms but if you are the unlu...
Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank A C

We are truly sorry to hear about the issues you had with your room and that the problems were not taken care of immediately. Your comments have been sent to upper management to review. Thank you.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed at this motel in early january 2013. The motel is not too expensive. Berkeley university (which worth the visit) is at a short drive distance. The motel was clean and the staff basic. The parking was free (one of the reason of our choice at this motel). The room (2 double beds) was quiet despite the proximity of the University avenue. The shared breakfast room was tiny (only 3 little tables for 2 or 3 people each, next to the front desk) and the food was poor. It's better to go 50 m west to the Fellini coffee bar. As you can not prepare or eat food in your room, you can go to Bangkok Noodles & Thai BBQ (1958 Shattuck Avenue) it's correct (noodles soups are good and the price is affordable).
Due to economic crisis, there were lot of homeless people in the main street.
But the real problem is the access to San Francisco. To go there, you have to take the lincoln highway toll bridge (6 USD: only to enter the city, free to get out) and if you take this bridge in the morning or in the early evening you are stuck in traffic jam.
I think it's better to stay in San-Francisco. The Coventry Motor Inn or the Columbus Motor Inn may be a better option. The are located downtown and they have free covered parking. But they are a little bit more expensive than RodeWay Inn

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank tavanamanu

It is a pleasure to hear you found the Berkeley Rodeway Inn clean, your room quiet, and that our parking was free. We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy our complimentary breakfast. Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

This is a nice comfortable motel built around the parking lot. The room was very clean with a new bathroom. There are refrigerators and microwave in the room and lots of channels on the TV. The staff was friendly and helpful. They printed out a boarding pass for me from the front desk. It has free internet and breakfast in the small lobby. It is also close to several excellent restaurants. The hotel is located on University Ave which is a busy street so you should expect a bit of road noise at night. Get a room near the office to minimize this. There is no issue of noise between rooms. The room was large and reasonably appointed for a modestly priced place. I recommend this place if you are on a budget.

Room Tip: Stay near the back away from the street.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Lasrman

We are happy to hear that you found your room clean, and the staff "friendly and helpful". Thank you for staying with us at the Berkeley Rodeway Inn and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Nicely updated, older property with free parking close to your room. Hotel is set back from the street in a U-shape, minimizing noise. Rooms are above lot so no headlights shining in your room. Window opens to allow fresh air. Comfortable beds, mini fridge, and microwave. Conveniently located to BART - a <10 minute walk around the corner and you're on the platform. Good food and a great local coffee stand make this a great location. Friendly staff. Highly recommend, good price for the area.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have less traffic as they are set back further in the corner.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank 56-Been_Around

We thank you for highly recommending the Berkeley Rodeway Inn which is conveniently located near the Bart station. It is great to hear that your bed was comfortable, and our staff friendly. We hope you come back and visit us again soon!

Reviewed March 7, 2013

This is a great little hotel. Got to town exhausted and was happy to have a hot shower in a very clean bathroom. It was really cold when I got to town and I was revlied that the heating system was easy to use (flip the cover on the vent and hit the up and down arrows). My room heated up quickly. A cool thing about this place is that you can't really see it from the street. The driveway is all that you see until you turn onto it, and there is the hotel. Continental breakfast was great. Coffee, juice (both really good), had English muffins but they also had cold cereal, frozen waffles, fruit and yogurt. They also accomodated me when I needed to stay an extra night. Everyone I spoke with was very nice. Would gladly recommend this place and visit again.

Room Tip: Call a week ahead. The place was booked on Saturday night. I was close to the Office, which I think...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank A O
Kiran T, Manager at Berkeley Rodeway Inn, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

It is great to hear your room was "very clean", you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast, and found your room heated up "quickly". Thank you for the wonderful review and recommending the Berkeley Rodeway Inn. We will be looking forward to your next visit with us!

Reviewed February 26, 2013

First, I must declare that I used mileage points at booking, so I didn't "pay" in the traditional sense (we all pay in some form even when utilizing awarded miles, right?). The place is definitely a 'budget category", but having said that, i can strongly recommend it due to its clean rooms, super clean bathrooms and convenience of decent sized refrigerator, microwave and breakfast served at the lobby. The extra touch? The flowers and landscaping with a bubbling fountain make it above average in my book. Easy in and out for exploring the area, good parking. WiFi was up and down, but that didn't bother me, i wasn't there to play online games!

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms away from the street, they will be more quiet. There is a Trader Joe's about 4...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Pvblue

Thank you for letting us know you found your room clean and bathroom "super clean", the landscaping "above average" and the 'good parking" while staying at the Berkeley Rodeway Inn. Come back and visit us again soon!