My wife and I booked a stay through a Bloomspot deal that gave us a great rate on a one night stay with continental breakfast. We had to cancel our first booking just minutes before check-in time because our toddler had a fever. Though the hotel was within their rights to invoke their cancellation policy, they kindly let us cancel the deal without penalty and reschedule.
When we did stay, we were greeted warmly by the front desk clerk, and were impressed with the grand appearance of the lobby area. We had a room on the top floor, right by the elevator, but the noise never bothered us. It was a bit chilly, since the windows were single-pane and not sealed very tightly, but at night we were able to use the radiator and a (provided) space heater to stay warm.
We had cocktails and appetizers at the happy hour, both of which were delicious. We were able to walk to and from a nice restaurant on Shattuck for dinner and later grab some ice cream sandwiches from C.R.E.A.M. just a couple of blocks away. We checked out the beautiful indoor pool and wandered around anywhere we were allowed, just taking in the gorgeous architecture.
The only other slightly negative experiences were:
- Shower was a little hard to get a decent temperature (it was far too easy to be either too hot or too cold)
- The continental breakfast supposedly featured a "warm egg dish" but we found nothing but the usual pastries, hard-boiled eggs, fruit, etc. We did go on the late side, but didn't see any evidence of a warm breakfast.
- The bed was not at all firm.
Even those were very minor and not enough to deter us from wanting to come back next time we have a reason to spend the night in Berkeley.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Berkeley City Club was elaborately crafted by architect Julia Morgan. Carved archways, vaulted ceilings, an indoor mosaic tiled swimming, and leaded-glass windows overlooking lush courtyards give the building its unique old world charm. The Berkeley City Club boasts six floors of classically designed standard, junior suite and suite size hotel rooms. Experience breathtaking views from each room, whether its the iconic fog rolling in over the San Francisco bay or the beautiful sunrises over the Berkeley Hills. Enjoy complimentary breakfast, including fresh fruit, toast, bagels, pastries, hard-boiled eggs, oatmeal, yogurt and juice. For entertainment, check out special member events, fitness classes, theater performances, salon services, lounge hours and dining in the restaurant, Julia's or visit local Berkeley attractions just steps away from the Club. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotwire, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz and TripOnline SA so you can book your Berkeley City Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Berkeley City Club Hotel Berkeley
- Berkeley City Hotel