“Beautiful and convenient”

Berkeley City Club
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 4, 2012

This is by far one of my favorite places to stay when I'm in the Bay Area. The architecture (designed by Julia Morgan!), the rooms (each with seemingly unique furniture and bedding), the view (ooooh, the view!) - all of it is fantastic, and for an affordable price. So far I've been lucky enough to find Groupon and Living Social deals (but even at full price, I would stay here), and the employees have been generous in letting me expand the discounted room rate over multiple nights and multiple rooms.

The first time the boyfriend and I stayed here, we got a corner room on an upper floor, which came with views of the Berkeley hillside and a claw-footed tub. This time around, our tiled walk-in shower was " boring" by comparison (although it came with the same overhead rain-style shower head), but the clear views of Berkeley, the Bay, and the San Francisco skyline from our 6th floor room more than made up for that. A friend and I happened to be in our rooms to freshen up around the time of sunset one evening, and the views were simply stunning.

When you arrive, allow yourself a good 30 minutes to wander around the first couple of floors, soaking in the architectural details. The employees are proud of the building's history and are happy to tell you more about its history.

The hotel has hotspots for wifi and tables of magazines for perusing near each floor's elevators and books in each room, apparently left behind from previous visitors for future residents to discover. You won't even notice that your room has no television (which would ruin the ambience anyway). The building is a few short blocks from the nearest BART station and neighbors UC Berkeley.

Be aware that the full-size beds (they also have queen-size and those are fine) are on the small-end of full, at least we thought so, despite being used to a full-size bed of our own. Either way, the mattresses are like pillows of heaven and have inspired me to upgrade my bed at home.

The free breakfast is expansive and includes items like eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit, granola, yogurt, baked goods, coffee, fruit juice and tea. They also serve coffee and tea all day on the first floor.

There are so many more good things I could say about this place, but I have to stop somewhere. This is a wonderful hotel and a must-stay if you're in the Bay Area.

Room Tip: Request a room on the upper floors on the San Francisco side of the building. Those rooms offer fant...
4  Thank TheFear
There are newer reviews for Berkeley City Club

Reviewed March 4, 2012

Wasn't sure about this place as we got this deal through groupon.com but it turned out to be our favorite place we stayed on vacation.
The view and location was great. The architecture and history of the hotel was fascinating. Overall I would recommend staying in this hotel to anyone and look forward to going back.

• Stayed: March 2012
2  Thank NwfpDoc
Reviewed February 21, 2012

My husband and I just came back from a 1 night stay at this beautiful old landmark. We had a LivingSocial discount of ~$80, so no question about value for cost. I would still consider paying regular rack rates, but with the following caveat - The building is old, so those expecting the latest gadgets in a new hotel will be disappointed. But for those who appreciate architecture and style, this place is for you!

Location: Right in front of Berkeley campus, nice little parking lot right next to the building. Being so close to Telegraph, church and Berkeley Free clinic, though, you will likely encounter a homeless person in front of, or on the way to the building, but this goes with the location. The front door is locked, and you need a key to get in.

Interior: gorgeous architecture, domed ceilings, detailed columns, concrete floors, radiant heaters, wood furniture throughout. I felt the structure of the building was solid, there was no noise between rooms, both in the lobby and on the room floors. Lots of rooms to explore - a library, lovely eating room for a nice continental breakfast (eggs, bacon, pastries, milk/juice/coffee, oatmeal, etc.), fantastic indoor pool with tiled bottom and warm water (not too cold!) and a balcony where people could sit and watch..

Room: We were in #612, around the corner from the elevator, but did not have any problems with noise. Size of the room was moderate, not big or too small, no TV, but good wireless access. The bed, towels, floor were very clean. There was as glass ceiling pendant in the middle of the room, old antique lamps and crystal doorknobs which caught my eye.

The only complaint I have about the bed was that there was a plastic cover around the mattress, like the one I used when my son was toilet-training, that made noise when we sat on it! There were single-paned glass windows, radiant heater that kept the room warm. I appreciated a couple of signs in the elevator and room hallways spelling out "quiet" time between 10:00pm to 9:00am. I am a light sleeper, and had no problems with noise. This was the first hotel I've stayed at where they had earplugs on the dressers, but I didn't need to use them!

I shower at night and had no problem with hot water coming on quickly, but in the morning, I did try to take a shower and the heat took a while to pick up.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel. The only reason for -1 star is that the amenities do not compare with a newer hotel. But the unique features were much appreciated!

Room Tip: 6th floor is highest floor, avoid #601, which is right next to the elevator
1  Thank Bay_Area_native85
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Amazing how the age and history of a building can resound in its walls! Lovely desk staff! Clean and charming room with the most breathtaking view of The City! Now if only we can arrive at a humane and dignified solution to the plethora of homeless that flank the area. I had one man ask us for a light and then proceeded to spit all over my shoes! He asks for a light and then slammed us for being white!

Room Tip: If at all possible, try The City Club if only once. You will not regret it! Right across the parki...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank oldpoet53
Reviewed February 16, 2012

This beautiful hotel/club built by Julia Morgan who also designed St. Simeon, dates from the 1930s. The rooms are small but comfortable with baths consistent with the era that are spotless despite many original fixtures. Classical music plays in the lobby. There is ONE TV in the TV room which is also an archives. The pool is beautiful and open most of the time. Rooms include a lovely continental breakfast and there is fresh coffee and tea and also apples available in the lobby. Not all rooms have computer access but the first and second floor public spaces with comfortable furniture are WiFi hotspots. Outside courtyards with fountains are also available to guests. It is a very short walk to the campus and a little further to a BART station. We got a special rate which are to be found when the hotel isn't busy.

Room Tip: The fifth or sixth floor rooms on the west or northwest side of the building have a view of the gold...
Reviewed February 15, 2012

They provide breakfast from 7 AM - 9 AM, it is DELICIOUS. The bed is not comfortable, the rug on the floor was DIRTY, there was no hot water, and the front desk staff is not that nice. Other than that, your pick if you want to stay. Only reason why I chose this place to stay was because I purchased a Groupon, which made it cheap.

1  Thank Claudeezyy
Reviewed February 13, 2012

This hotel is an amazing, beautiful beaux arts builidng, lovingly restored and beautifully furnished with period pieces. Although pleasant for a visit, the overnight stay was not as comfortable as we would have liked. There was no hot water the day we arrived, and the problem was not resolved until the following morning. Besides not being able to shower, the pool was exceptionally cold, as well. The bed in our room was lovely in appearance, but not comfortable, so sleeping was difficult. On the other hand, it was pleasant to be able to open the windows and enjoy the fresh air. The complementary breakfast was good. Parking was convenient and reasonably priced, and the location of the hotel near the Cal Campus and Telegraph Ave. was a nice feature. Due to the bed issue and lack of hot water, I cannot recommend this hotel for an overnight stay. However, I would attend an event or may return for a visit due to its' unmatched beauty.