“Everything was perfect except for the breakfast.”

Holiday Inn Express Berkeley
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
Reviewed July 30, 2010

I went to visit my daughter at UC Berkeley and stayed in this hotel. It was nice a quiet at night, so I slept well. I used the hotel gym, which was great. Parking in the lot was easy, and I was able to check e-mail and print out my boarding pass on the hotel computer. The breakfast was free, but it was lousy. I stayed at the Holiday Inn in Elyria, Ohio and their breakfast was great, so that was what I was expecting. I bought myself a can of salsa to put on the eggs in the morning because they were so bland. They really need to add fresh fruits and vegetables. The only fruit was unripe bananas and there were lots of cheap carbs--bread, bagels, doughnuts, English muffins, and cinnamon rolls. If you want to gain weight and get diabetes, that's the place to eat. The staff was friendly and the room was clean. I had a suite with a couch, fridge and microwave. I would stay there again, but I would hope the breakfast had become healthier.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo

Reviewed July 29, 2010

We actually stayed on 2 occasions, hotel was clean, front desk staff helpful at all times of the day and night. At breakfast on our first morning there was a gentleman there that I thought had wandered in off the street, his appearance was disheveled, as though he had slept in the clothes he was wearing and he was watching everything that was going on. Turns out he works there, he was in the dining room every morning. The rest of the staff was dressed professionally.
Rooms were rather small for an extended stay, they had the frig and microwave but no place to actually sit down and eat. Clean and housekeeping was great. We left a note for an issue in the room that concerned us and they took care of it, leaving a note in response.
Though the neighborhood looks rough, my daughters and I went out for several walks and never encountered anything unpleasant or unexpected. Felt safe at all times.
The front doors were locked at 11P every night and we had to be buzzed in. As I would expect this at any hotel.

1  Thank 409mom
Reviewed July 23, 2010

This hotel was great. We booked the 2 bedroom apartment room which had a full kitchen and huge living area, 2 queen beds, as well as a separate king bedroom. The kids could do cartwheels and play it was so large. Staff was attentive and polite. The people who bash the neighborhood don't know Berkeley, this area is fine and my kids and I walk at all hours with no troubles. Parking is easy, breakfast is free and there is plenty to offer, great deal all around. Laundry facilities available.

Reviewed July 19, 2010

the hotel appears to be remodeled inside and out. however, i think the staff/ownership/mgmt could use remodeling as well. when i travel especially with my family, i try to be aware of my surroundings. almost right away i noticed the hotel wasnt in a great part of town. as we were unloading our bags in the parking lot, i noticed an older man come out of the hotel and look at us closely, he then took a wide loop around the parking lot and looked at our car and seemed to be making note of our license plate and paying close attention to everything we were doing and unloading. at this point i had no idea who he was, so it made me a bit uneasy.

at the front desk i informed the young man that i could put down a credit card but i would be paying cash either at check in our check out...it didnt matter to me. after a long session of typing into the computer and using a calculator he says to me, "im sorry sir, your credit card has been declined." i asked him what it was declined for and he said he tried to "authorize it " for the entire 5 night stay. at which point i agreed that it would be declined for that amount, which is why i indicated i would pay cash. (i had used the card for a week long car rental and they too had charged the card for the week long rental fee + authorized the card for a $500 deposit.) per Holiday Inn policy, cash customers are charged a $100 deposit which is what i assumed he would authorize the card for (would have been approved). instead he went for the whole amount even after i said upfront that i'd be paying cash. i paid cash, but still, we got off on the wrong foot. by the way, when i was finally done at the front desk i turned to head to the elevator and seated behind me in the dark dinning room was the man that had shadowed us in the parking lot upon arrival. he looked quite serious and maintained eye contact with me as i headed to the elevator with my family.

we later made the connection that the older guy from the parking lot is the dad and his son's mostly work behind the counter. they seem to live at the hotel because they are there 24/7 and watch the comings and goings like the father of a teenage girl that has her boyfriend over for the first time...and heaven forbid you head for seconds during breakfast, the old man or his sons are positioned at the front desk to face the dinning room and they give you quite the "havent you had enough" staredown. its really nowhere near the professional and service oriented tone that one expects from a Holiday Inn (American corporation).

the room/hotel was clean and remodeled. the hotel is in a bad part of town and an incovenient 10-15 minute drive to the University. you have to go up a way and maze through a questionable neighborhood to finally make a u-turn and head down on University Ave to the University.

our son will be attending Cal and we will not be staying here when we come visit.

3  Thank berkoption
Reviewed April 10, 2010

We stopped in for a sleepover, and it was fine. The gentleman who checked us in (Raj?) at 11:00 p.m., was attentive, and had us going up to our room in minutes. We had made the reservation online. Likewise, in the morning, the woman behind the desk was courteous and responsive. The hotel looks newly decorated, and is beautiful. The free breakfast is typical fare. Our room was quite, which was surprising, as this hotel is right on University.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed February 21, 2010

Service- 6/10 This could very well be the hotel's weakest point in my opinion. Staff often congregate in the lounge/breakfast bar and don't attend to the front desk. If they see you, most act as if you are intruding on their second home or personal space. The friendliest people are the housekeepers who say "Good morning". There is one staff member that saves the score from a 5, and I wish I knew his name. He works the night shift and relatively is the best staff member. He smiles and talks, unlike the other staff. Yes, most don't even talk. Housekeeping is a mixed bag, as the sheets were filled with stains of sort and the towels rough. However, they are very careful with personal belongings and even organize shoes and go beyond the call of duty.

Room- The room is average size, and getting renovated when I went there. A new office chair and relaxing chair supplement the room as do the new sink and shower head. A good thing about the standard room is there are two sinks, a fridge, and a microwave. The bathroom feels and looks slightly dirty, which is why the two sinks are greatly appreciated. Besides the bathroom, the room is pretty clean and very nice. The TV is getting old, and I would love to see an upgrade of TVs.

Location- The surrounding neighborhood is fairly safe in the afternoon, but personally I wouldn't walk around alone at night. For the adventurous traveler, the international and diverse restaurants could be great, but maybe not for the non-adventurous dining wise. It's around a 8 block walk to the North Berkeley Bart station and a 15 minute drive to campus on an average day. The hotel is very close to I-880 which is convenient, and is on an average day a 40 minute drive to San Francisco or up to a 60 minute drive. Oakland is around a 20 to 30 minute drive, while Richmond (only reason I would go is the Costco) is around a 30 minute drive.

Food- Although there is no restaurant, there is a breakfast bar from 6:30 AM- 9:30 AM. It sports the lovely cinnamon rolls, cereals, omeletes (microwave ones, mind you), packaged oatmeal, greasy sausages, bacon, watered down coffee, and an assortment of pastries and donuts. The food itself is substantial and very filling, but the quality is up to question. Bacon is usually full of fat as the sausage is. If you don't worry about health for awhile, the breakfast buffet is a great way to stuff yourself. However, don't be late, plan on getting to the breakfast place by at least 9 as the staff just love to close the place in a jiffy. Even if people come while they are cleaning up, they continue clean up, even if it's 9:15. The hurried clean up can be slightly annoying.

Frills (or lack thereof)- Parking is lighted and secure among a neighborhood people would be hesitant to park in. Business center only has one slow (read: slow) computer and a printer. Fitness center is a joke with very little equipment and a tiny room. There is no swimming pool which is annoying for me personally.

Notes- The hotel is currently being remodeled, with a redone lobby. The exterior is looking pretty nice as is the lobby. If you can get past the lack of staff attention or contact and the quality of amenities like the business center, this hotel is good considering the surroundings, but if taken individually is average. In Berkeley, most of the hotels close to campus are old, but pleasant European, small hotels. The Holiday Inn Express is a good, modern hotel considering that and worth a look at. I would also recommend looking at the Doubletree on the marina, although it doesn't provide breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 25, 2010

I recently visited the Berkeley campus and stayed at this hotel. They gave a great free breakfast, was close to many shops and dining options. The rooms look like they were renovated, very clean and neat. Staff was nice as well. I will stay again.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo