New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Holiday Inn Express Berkeley

Holiday Inn Express Berkeley
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Berkeley
MELBOURNE
“No electricity , no customer relations”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

This place is a long way from everything.
Hotel had no electricity the night of my arrival. No prior warning was given. There was a pre-prepared notice on check-in counter about works being done on electricity in area. They knew in advance but did not tell guests in advance.y request for a reduction in cost of room was met with indifference. So no TV, no gym, no AC, light by little flashlight .
Got the impression they just wanted the money. Of all the Holiday Inn I have used on 3 continents this is least favorite.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank seancollins5o1
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Berkeley, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear seancollins5o1,

We look forward to hearing back from you soon.

Janice A.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

First trip to San Francisco, heard that the hotels were expensive in the downtown core, so we opted for Berkeley. It seemed a little far but doable, so long as you have a rental car.

I had to admit I thought the hotel was a little pricey, but after staying there I can understand why. We arrived in the middle of the week and the hotel was booked solid. We was lucky to get a room by booking online. The room was clean, it had no funny smells, and the shower had good water pressure. The TVs were all upgraded to flat screens, which was a nice perk. The beds were comfortable and I wanted to take the pillows home with me. You even have the option of soft or firm pillows which were marked. Breakfast was also included with the price of the room. It was one of the better breakfasts I have had in a hotel. There is the option of eggs, sausages, pancakes, danishes, toast, coffee, tea, etc. Definitely, worth the stay.

After the first night stay, I thought about staying longer but the hotel was booked solid and I had plans to drive up the coast.
Maybe, next time.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Haifa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

As part of business trip I stayed in Holiday Inn in Berkeley.
Later I extended the stay for vacation as well.
It was much cheaper than staying is SF, just 20 min from the SF city center.
The hotel is renovated, provides free WiFi and cable internet connection.
Free parking on site.
Free breakfast is great, especially the cinnamon rolls :-)
Evening reception was very helpful and nice.
Overall - nice place to stay, cheaper than San Francisco options.

Room Tip: All rooms are OK with respect to any noise. No problem with this.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Berkely seems to have two kinds of hotels.....the totally over the top expensive & the dumpy, cheaper places! The Holiday Inn Express is kind of in the middle. It is nice, clean, good location and plenty of parking. The rooms are good sized and quiet, the beds are comfortable. The breakfast is the standard Holiday Inn Express fare, but it is free and there are plenty of choices. I will stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank SeattleCrazyhair
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Clean, comfortable, attentive staff. Elevator and luggage cart! Definitely a good value for the money in Berkley. We were a little concerned as we were driving toward the Inn, thinking it might not be the best of neighborhoods. But we realized that we were quite safe, as we parked in the enclosed lot. Breakfast was typical self-service, but nice. Definitely recommend.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JanWMaryland
california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I'll be honest-- this was not my first choice for a hotel in the area, but my first few choices were booked. So I did my research, read nice things about this hotel, and decided to give it a try. It worked out, and most likely I will be back, my daughter being a first year Berkeley student. We (my family and I) arrived very late at night. "No problem" the manager said. I slept like a baby-- the beds were firm, but not too firm, and there were plenty of comfortable pillows. Our room was quiet. It was clean-- my understanding is that there was a renovation one or two years ago, and it shows. Our particular room was also designed to accommodate people with handicaps, the doorways to the room and bathroom being extra wide and the bathroom shower having a bench. We also enjoyed the free breakfast as hot items were offered and there was variety. This hotel is convenient to UC Berkeley and downtown. This is not a hotel where you go to be pampered, but if you want a comfortable stay with good service at a reasonable price that is close to the university and local attractions, definitely consider Holiday Inn Express Berkeley.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank youinmind
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2012

Hotel us clean and rooms are updated and spacious.

Their breakfast has issues though. Pancake machine didn't work the entire length of our stay (4 nights) and they stopped making cinnamon rolls an hour before breakfast ended. When I asked for more cinnamon rolls I was told no. Then I asked the front desk person and she made it happen.

Parking spaces are too small for a minivan.

• Stayed July 2012