“Zut!....this time the food and service was moot.”
Review of Zut!

Zut!
Reserve with OpenTable
Zut! is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 716 Restaurants in Berkeley
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Hearst
Description: Established in 2010, Zut! on Fourth renews a historical restaurant location on the fourth street shopping district in Berkeley. Zut! specializes in regional Mediterranean/New American dishes prepared with fresh, locally sourced ingredients by Executive Chef Jim Wimborough. The Zut! Bar offers diverse specialty hand-crafted and classic cocktails, small production European and domestic wine list, and an extensive spirits menu. Zut is an ideal venue for large groups and private parties.
Reviewed April 17, 2014

We have dined at Zut! twice previously for a late lunch and were pleased. Not so much this time. We made a reservation to take some friends to dinner. We were immediately seated but this time in kind of an ante-room that was rather close quarters and the four or five tables in there were rather squeezed together, not open like the rest of the restaurant. That being said our waiter (hair up in a bun) had a bit of an attitude...pretty aloof and not the genuinely friendly. We ordered some drinks and they came fairly quickly...quite tasty. The waiter kind of disappeared for a bit but we did place our order. The last time we had the pizza with Bleu Cheese and ordered that again, I ordered the grass fed burger but requested sautéed vegetables instead of fried and our friends ordered the sea bass and halibut. The entrees were brought sporatically and the waiter seemed to kind of ignore signals to come to the table. My burger was brought with fries and I was finally able to get the waiter's attention....my vegetables were brought out more than 15 minutes later (after two requests), I had asked for tabasco to mix into my ketchup (a tiny little dish) and that also had to be requested twice. The burger was dry and small...certainly not worth the price. The pizza was underdone with a soggy crust and not extremely hot....we just let it go. We ordered coffee and again two of us were served and one cup was actually cold. We finally got the coffee, shared some sorbet, got our check and were out of there. We may give Zut! another try, but maybe some other places on 4th Street have moved ahead of our options.

Reviewed March 26, 2014

I had lunch with 2 girlfriends and we decided to split 3 entrees, our waiter was not so happy about that. Two of the entrees were excellent and one was just OK.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

I dined here twice over the last month. The first occasion was a business dinner with a party of 6. We shared several starters, and our entrees varied from vegi to beef. I had halibut, which was a perfectly prepared smallish block served over asparagus. All of us were more than pleased.

I recently returned to cerebrate a major birthday for my wife. I casually mentioned the occasion to the Maitre d' on being seated. She had the halibut, and was just as enthusiastic as I had been on the earlier occasion. I had quinoa, which was superb, and seasoned perfectly. We share a fried brussels sprouts starter that may have been a little too salty, but was otherwise excellent.

The cocktails are original and very good. It is rare that I drink more than one at dinner, but "The Philanthropist", a bourbon and absinthe concoction was so good that I had two. Moreover the waiter wrote out the recipe for me to try at home. Because of the birthday, I kind of expected the usual small piece of cake with a candle, but was astonished when the waiter said that the first round of drinks was on the house, thus knocking $19 off a bill that wasn't that high to begin with. A very generous gesture indeed! I plan to return soon before the Berkeley foodies make full discovery.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

We dined at Zut! in the late afternoon and it was too early to order from the regular dinner menu. Even so, we had a good selection of soups, salads, pizzas, several main dishes and sides. The sausage egg pizza is absolutely delicious -- egg not overcooked and has a bit of heat. We started with a very good beet and citrus salad plus the caesar salad with anchovies. My partner could not see any anchovies in his caesar salad and was told they were in the dressing. They offered and we accepted a small dish of anchovies to go with the caesar. Service was excellent.

1  Thank SFGAL8
Reviewed March 17, 2014

The drinks were especially good and the service was excellent and helpful. Very impressed with the friendly staff.

Don't miss the roasted Brussel Sprouts in bacon.