“Nice people, stinky room”

Americas Best Value Inn
Ranked #18 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
Reviewed January 28, 2014

The staff checking me in and out of the motel were very nice. The room was on the end by a main street but it was big with two rooms and 4 beds so it was pretty quiet. The furniture is dated and old, the beds just okay, wifi not so good and the room I was in smelled of plumbing with hair and grime in it. (the bathroom was very dated) I sprayed room freshener and perfume in the room but the smell kept coming back. I told the staff as I left so may take care of the smell and other rooms might not have the smell.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Katie M
ckoertge, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write about our property. I have shared your comments with my staff and will be working with them to help correct the issue. Attention to detail is something we aim to master and we will follow up with this to make sure it is rectified. Thanks again for the feedback and we hope to see you again in the future.

Chris Koertge

Reviewed November 16, 2013

People here are very friendly and helpful. Especially, they are very trustful. I left my watch in the room when I checked out. Later I realized that I left it there. I contacted this motel and they were very honest and helpful in getting my watch back. Actually, it was my wedding watch so is very precious for me. In addition, the room is cozy and clean given the room is very cheap.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Chris was friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful at check in. Night staff also helpful. The exterior reminded me of the traditional motor courts with well-kept buildings and lovely decorative flowers and vines painted on the window frames. The room was simple but neat and clean. Refrig, microwave, decent bed, good sized shower. Clean, well-maintained. One-story, park in front of room.

The area is one of those mixed/in transition sections of the city. At first glance it's not too encouraging, but as we walked around getting from train station and looking for food (after dark), we noticed people walking dogs, cyclists, decently lit streets, well-kept homes and businesses. Found local restaurants and chains, good variety.

I forgot my stuff in refrigerator but when I called Chris he immediately said he would send my lunch bag and water bottle to me. He also helped us get from airport to inn by printing map & instructions.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2013

This motel appears to have been built in the 1920's by the tile in our bathroom. Our room was very very clean, brightly painted colorful walls, comfy bed, some nice decorations on the walls. But it was the towels that I loved. Softest ever! The room was small by today standards but clean. The courtyard is right out of the 1940-1950's. What was wrong? The thin walls. The person in the room had their TV on most of the time and we could hear it. He was watching Fox News! Then he snored all night. If you just need an inexpensive place to stay for a night or two this would be a good choice. However it is not within easy walking distance of just about anything.

Room Tip: There is what appears to be a new two story section that might be a better choice
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank XK140NUT
Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 1 night after flying into san Francisco before traveling on motel wasn't too bad but area looked and felt unsafe was glad only there to sleep before moving on.check in was easy and room had fridge microwave and coffee machine bed was comfy just a shame about the area.

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank kaznicks
Reviewed August 31, 2013

This is a good value for Berkeley. We arrived very late -- almost 11:00 p.m. There was a sign on the office that said "closed." Dang, we hadn't made arrangements for this. But a smiling guy came to the door and greeted us warmly. We felt instantly welcome. We dragged our tired behinds into the room. We stocked the empty and clean mini-fridge and sought refuge on the bed. Says it's queen-sized but looks more like a double, which was okay. But the the mattress is a trhowback. It crinkles and squeaks and sounds like it's stuffed with newspaper. It even feels like that a little bit. But we lost consciousness anyway and found that the bed consistently offered a good night's sleep.

Now, temperature control is an issue. We were in Berzerkeley at the end of August. It was not terribly hot but it was warm - uppers 70s. The room was HOT. There is no AC. We noticed a fan on the wall in the corner of room. We turned it on low. It moved the warm air around and didn't help. We realized we needed to open the windows. The next day, when we returned to the room after walking around UC, the room was brutally hot. We put the fan on high and opened the windows and door. My wife estimates the noise level at 75 dbA. This procedure helped marginally. We were able to sleep soundly with the jet engine white noise.

The alarm clock was 48 minutes off - something we didn't notice in our arrival stupor. Easily remedied but weird. There is no stopper in the sink.

So, why do we give this place a three instead of a "run away!"? Well, it's clean. It was cheap on a Cal football weekend. And it's in this funky neighborhood with all these odd businesses. It's not an upscale neighborhood but we felt safe.

The room is of adequate size has lots of surfaces on which to place luggage and paraphernalia of travel and work out of it without putting anything on the floor. The microwave works - we used it to warm up the very good sweet potato pie from Everett & Jones. There is a "Murphy" ironing board. We didn't use it but enjoyed marveling at it. There are two directional lamps above the bed so you can read without blinding your sweetie.

Doncha hate it when you stand in the middle of a hotel with a dirty kleenex and think, where the heck is the wastebasket? Not here. There are two wastebaskets and they are not hidden.

The decor is dated and a little odd but pleasant. If you don't need to brag about the place you stayed and don't need to sleep in a cold room in the summer, this will work for your. Hey, it's adequate.

Room Tip: You might try a room that does not border on San Pablo.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2013

If you are looking for a good place to crash for the night, this will work for you. We stayed here for 3 days while visiting SFO late aug and found it ok.
The room is spacious for SFO standards, but bathroom just has a shower cubicle no tub. The only real complaint we had was that the walls are very thin and the noise from outside work us up a couple of times each night. Also a dog in the next room kept barking every 10 mins in the afternoon and i just had a headache at the end of the day.

tip : No breakfast provided but you can head to La Misson for some awesome burritos and tacos.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple