“Very highly recommended!”

Ranked #29 of 726 Restaurants in Berkeley
Cuisines: German
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Organic German Slow Food. Handcrafted with Love. Largest German beer and wine selection in the East Bay.
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Been going here each time we travel to the Bay Area since shortly after the restaurant opened and Anja (the owner) and her staff have consistently delivered top-notch food and good service. Fresh, responsibly-sourced ingredients, great presentation, and a warm atmosphere are consistent experiences. It is obvious that a lot of care is put in the quality of the food.

When it came time to select food for our wedding reception dinner, Gaumenkitzel was the first place that came to mind. Anja was extremely accommodating - worked with us to design the menu, and giving us great freedom to decorate the part of the restaurant that our small group occupied. The entire event went off without a hitch, and the guests all raved about the quality and presentation of the meal.

Could not more highly recommend Gaumenkitzel - we'll certainly be back.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

Gaumenkitzel is a blessing to Germans and any tourists in Berkeley. Homemade bread (homeground flour!), delicious pie crusts, cakes made to order, great coffee, excellent service, light and airy surroundings, best bathrooms (and plenty of them), REAL sauerkraut and perfect mashed potatoes, spaetzle, and several delicious soups. Have been here many times with family and out-of-town friends. Recommend it for singles and large groups;

2  Thank Mechthild32006
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Being a native German I had to learn how to make my own German Schmalz ,Bratwurst, bread, Weisser Kaese, Zwiebelkuchen mit neuem Wein, Kasseler, Spaetzle, Rouladen, various Schnitzels,Kasseler, from scratch, including growing my own grapes of coarse, and it takes years to get it right. The Schnitzel I ordered was cut way too thin, reminded me of the mexican version,but was ok, missing was a choice of the usual variety of German toppings, e.g. Paprika, mushrooms with gravy,just plain lemon juice available here. . The potatoes could have been sliced and fried as it is done in Germany, not cut in little not very crunchy cubes as is customary in the U.S. My friends potatoe salad undercooked, underseasoned, the Knackwurst was accepteable, the Rotkraut/red cabbage was raw and not suficiently marinated-tasteless. The atmosphere in the not so great neighbourhood has zero touch of Germany, they were however palying some modern german contemporary music. The waitress we had did not speak or understand German, the pricey beer was great-bottled in Germany of coarse, can't screw up there, to serve a Hefe-Weizen without a lemon is not how we do it in Germany,though. One automatic star loss is the fact the restaurant did not have ketchup available to amend the lackluster potatoes a bit. I do applaud the idea of the waitress to use tomatoesauce instead as gutsy despite only adding to the total eclipse of tastelessness. She tried something to remedy a mediocre meal, So there is half a star back for service. Rounds up to 2 stars according to my palate. Get a German cook with experience in there for starters, plenty around in the bay area, get a German speaking waitress or two while hiring, dressed in Dirndl. Precooked or not this is not really Germany standards forsure. Hang up a few pictures of castles , something really cheap , a few beer mugs/Steine , picures of the Rhein with its castles , something. Play something uniquely german like Radio Jodlerwirt per internet, there are cheap ways to do all this, but this place is way overprized for lack of about everything.

3  Thank Gerhard L
Reviewed September 17, 2012

A party of 4 went to Sunday Brunch. I ordered a cannelini bean soup flavored with rosemary the herb was strong but the flavor was delicious. Then I had a scrambled egg on spatzel the topped with cheese. the egg was light and fluffy the spatzel was tender and the cheese was just the right balance. This was followed by a piece of black forest cake. All in all the experience was very good.

2  Thank Robabas
Reviewed July 23, 2012

My co-worker is obsessed with German food. He found this spot and has since dragged the group of us there several times. He loves it. I don't get it (granted, I'm picky about my German food).

Nice space, in an area that really needs it. Nice owner. Nice waitresses. Good desserts.

The food... just didn't resonate with me. I've ordered the schnitzel (not something I'd re-order), tried to order the salad special (but they were out of a key ingredient), and the goulash (OK, but not that flavorful).

It's ok, but I think Speisekammer in Alameda is a much better representation of German cuisine.