“great organic, local farm restaurant”
Review of Gather

Ranked #15 of 735 Restaurants in Berkeley
Cuisines: American, Pizza
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Allston Way
Transit: Downtown Berkeley BART (1 block away!) AC Transit to Downtown Berkeley Ample bicycle parking
Description: Gather is a restaurant, café and organic bar with an outdoor patio in Downtown Berkeley.We serve seasonal farm food, sourced carefully and prepared thoughtfully, with a fairly priced menu for vegetarians and omnivores.Located in the David Brower Center, the greenest building in the East Bay, Gather is designed to inspire community and educate people about food.
Reviewed November 25, 2013

The food at Gather is wonderful and innovative and delicious, and if it's nice weather you can sit out on their terrace. Since the weather is almost always nice, Gather is a highly enjoyable experience almost all of the time, with friendly, professional staff. For me the only problem is the noise level in the gloriously high-ceilinged dining room. I just can't go there if it's crowded and we have to sit inside. But otherwise: wonderful! (And it you're not an old person like me, you may not have a problem with the noise.)

Reviewed November 23, 2013

I have visited the restaurant twice in during my visits to Berkeley and it has been a treat. Natural ingredients, environment. Healthy food, to boot.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

In central Berkeley, close to 15 movie screens, you cannot find a more delicious and PC dinning spot. Gather's menu is varied with something delicious for all. Although a bit pricey, every thing I've eaten over the years has been a sensual delight.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

I've been back to Gather a couple times since my last review - and was secretly hoping that they would have the fried maitake mushroom available last night when I popped in after a show at the Berkeley Rep.

Arriving just before 10, I was cheerfully greeted and directed to the bar in the back where the bartender was very friendly and helpful. He let me taste some of the ingredients I had never seen in drinks before - a rhubarb liqueur and Rhuby Cubed - that rhubarb liqueur, rum, ruby red grapefruit, hopped grapefruit bitters. It was light and refreshing, citrusy and exactly the kind of thing I would want to drink on a hot day. I ended up selecting the "Bronze Resistance" which was absolutely delicious for me as a fennel fan - my friend got Corpse Reviver #2 which was really really good - I might get that next time.

Back in the days when I was still a vegetarian who occasionally ate seafood when dining out - I first encountered "Fritto Misto" while traveling in Italy - you get a giant pile of crispy golden fried seafood - usually more than you can eat before you get your entree. I saw that there was a vegan fritto misto with oyster mushrooms - with some fond memories of both Italian fritto misto experiences and the fried oyster mushrooms at Millennium - I ordered.

While delicious, I have to say I was shocked that the price for 5 little pieces of fried mushrooom and squash was $12 - it should be more like $8. The cauliflower-horseradish aoli was creamy and rich but lacked bite. The fried bits were really crispy but the flavors didn't really come through - obviously, the onion ring was an onion - but the oyster mushrooms seemed to have lost their flavor, else I got a plate of fried squash bits only (which were like hush puppies). I expected more mushroomy and sweet squash flavors - both seemed a bit lost to the batter.

Though I was tempted to order the vegan charcuterie, it looked like they changed the formula and I wasn't as excited about it as I had been about the smoked melon and the vegan sausage on the charcuterie the last several times I had been at Gather.

Instead, I ordered the spicy tomato pizza. Talk about Pizza-Gasm! I recently experienced really awesome vegan pizza from Rotten City and then ordered one at home - which was satisfactory. This pizza cost $9 less, was about the same size and was far superior (my friend agreed - having tried the RC pizza, too).

The crust was thin without being soggy and I like how the edges balloon up a bit in the oven, though they blackened a bit - the crust was crispy without being oily. The sauce was absolutely delicious - very fresh tomato tasting, with the chile oil and chopped up capers/olives giving the whole pizza a bit of "arrabiata" taste to it - the only thing I might ask is for less cashew cream and more spice!

We also ordered the frites on the side - they were delicious with the outstanding house made catsup.

I am really happy that Gather's menu is changing and seasonal - and that they very clearly note vegan and gluten-free options. That saves so much work for the wait staff and helps out customers a lot. I hope to go back for the smoked artichoke entree before it goes off the menu!

Service was fantastic and dining in the bar area was actually quite nice and I think less noisy than the main dining room.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

As a vegetarian, it is great to have such a wonderful restaurant that sources local and organic food, has the most beautiful visual presentations of it, and introduces new tastes as well. The vegan pizza has a wonderful crust and the tastiest cashew-based "cheese" or paste, with a tasty sauce and yummy ribbons of chili oil drizzled back and forth across the pie. The wines have been tasty favorites, too often with seemingly short pours.