“Plato's Cave”

Add it.
The Bone Room
Ranked #5 of 35 Shopping in Berkeley
More attraction details
Owner description: Bizarre natural history store that sells such odd items as fossils, dried reptiles and mounted scorpions.
Reviewed June 23, 2013

It was my wife who took me into the Bone Room, saying she wishes she had known about it as a child. There are two stores next to each other, the first packed with taxidermy (lambs, birds, mouse deer, everything), fossils, bones,skeletons, and oddities because., one imagines, they arrived there by accident. The second store is like a gallery of naturalist art, also with a few skeletons but lined with drawings and paintings of flaura and fauna, complete with beautiful, indeed ravishing pictures of mushrooms. In both stores I was as taken by the staff as I was by the contents. A young woman sat at the desk in the second store talking about how to remove the skin and muscle from a skeleton without damaging the ligaments. and she was just as happy to tell us where we might eat in the neighborhood. We were in Berkeley for an academic event but we were very pleased to spend some time afterwards in this gem of a store. We almost left with the jawbone of a donkey-like creature which can be played as a percussive musical instrument. Sorry, can't use the real name for this character on TripAdvisor - profanity.

1  Thank PeterBradbury

Reviewed March 1, 2013 via mobile

I come here every time I visit the bay area. Tons of neat stuff for the nature buff, artist, or teacher. My girls love to come and get feathers and funky jewelry, I love the presentations and lectures, and I always seem to bring a new skull back to my classroom every time I visit!

Reviewed December 11, 2012

Fabulous place to bring kids or anyone interested in the natural world. You can buy skeletons or taxidermied specimens, view beetles & many other insects from all over the world. There's a gallery of natural & artistic interest attached.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

This is a MUST place to visit. There are so many interesting bones of animals, fossils, framed insects, and there are also some cool gifts to be bought. It is right across the VCA Animal hospital, and when I take my pet there, I make sure to visit the Bone room or even when I am in the general area of Solano Avenue. Its just a cool shop to visit.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

The Bone Room is, well, sort of an acquired taste. They have all sorts of bones and skeletons of many creatures but they also have lovely butterfly groupings and artwork. You might just find something for that hard-to-shop-for birthday gift, e.g. a real scorpion encased in a clear plastic paperweight for that Scorpio friend.