“Quiet, quaint and gracious.”
Review of Spruce Canyon

Spruce Canyon
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berkeley
Spruce Canyon
Ranked #6 of 7 Berkeley B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I spent a week at Spruce Canyon this past June and loved it. The décor is unique and multi-cultural, eccentric but tidy. I could walk out the back door from the deck and pick fresh plums from a plum tree for breakfast. The environment was quaint and peaceful. The property owner was gracious and helpful in terms of suggesting nearby restaurants, sights, and activities - even allowing us to use her travel points at one local establishment. I had not visited the Bay Area in nearly 30 years and it was a wonderful experience...I wish I were still there!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Joni W

Reviewed August 6, 2013

After a day, I finally came to the conclusion staying there is like staying in a closed junk shop. A hoarders paradise. So much stuff a flashlight is provided to make it to the bathroom to a toilet that doesn't flush. Back door dead bolt doesn't work. I thought the back garden would be empty but unfortunately it was as full as the apt. A landscape of pots, plaques and other junk.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mark U
Ana927, Owner at Spruce Canyon, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2013

I am sorry your experience was not what you had hoped for but I feel that I described the apartment honestly on the telephone prior to your stay and judging from the other reviews,
most of our guests are quite happy here. Some have become regular visitors and some have
even asked to buy items that they loved in the apartment. Until recently, I had a shop in downtown Berkeley so some things were there and now are here waiting to find their proper home.

Saying that the toilet doesn't flush is inaccurate. It flushes properly. It is a low flow toilet
so it requires users to be respectful and not fill it with excess paper. And, you could have asked us to show you how to use the back door bolt. It also works and isn't absolutely necessary as the door locks fine without it.

Reviewed August 1, 2013

we visited berkeley as our daughter has recently relocated there. in fact she found the place for us. Initially we were a bit reluctant as we usually stay in a hotel,but spruce canyon was walking distance from our daughters apt. and we decided to give it a shot. The on line reviews also made us feel comfortable with our decision. The moment we walked into the apartment Ana was there to greet us . We arrived late and she welcomed us, showed us around and made us feel right at home. The apartment was larger than we expected, fully furnished and equipped with anything one might need, inclulding a fireplace, lots of books, music, and a modern kitchen with a great eating area where we enjoyed breakfast daily, .. There .was also a garden in the back which was a lot of fun to explore. Since this was a 1 week stay, we thoroughly enjoyed spending time in this wonderful space, in a great residential neighborhood that is walking distance from restaurants and stores. We felt right at home and by the end of the week, felt like residents of Berkeley. Ana was a terrific hostess .

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank esther f
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Recently I stayed in what was for me a Berkeley apt that would allow me to cook a breakfast and be on my way to meet with friends in the area. So interesting to read such positive reviews of this place which makes me wonder at my overall mind set. I have traveled world wide as well as many times in the Berkeley area. I found the apartment as many have described as "spacious" but in my mind.. jammed with uncomfortable furniture and millions of pillows to the point of claustrophobia. Even the kitchen sink area pictured in the ads was crammed full of unnecessary objects. The only place I could find refuge from this was in the bathroom shower stall. Even the bathroom sink had no place for my own personal items. I paid far too much for too much clutter touted as 'art objects' and antiques. Very disappointed.
I so could hardly wait to leave and sorry to sound so disagreeable to the point of not wanting to send this through.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Lasthoorah

I was surprised by this response as the guest gave me the impression that she was enjoying her stay here. I went out of my way to help her and even made time to drive her to her relative's home several times, at no charge.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

I am not a person who likes to stay in B&B's - too much lace, scented potpourri, pseudo-Victorian furnishings and such. Not my thing. It was a delight to find Spruce Canyon in North Berkeley! The lower level of a stunning Berkeley Craftsman in a fabulous close-in neighborhood within walking distance of the Rose Garden, UC Berkeley campus, and the gourmet ghetto, the apartment is eclectic, quiet, open, very functional, and no lace anywhere.....Ana is a fabulous host, informative without being intrusive, and has a wonderful selection of books and music - I could have stayed a month and not have made a serious dent in either! And to have a fully stocked apartment with cooking facilities was very important to me - and hard to find. But the highlight has to be the bathroom - wow! A shower to die for, and soaking tub too! Quite luxurious. Lovely backyard, too. I will be sure to come again next time I'm in Berkeley.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Julie E
Reviewed May 17, 2012

The previous two reviews just about say it all. As I was sitting by the fireplace,covered with a soft lap robe, listening to Bach on the CD player, sipping my chilled white wine and reading one of Ana's wonderful books, I realized you can go home again. I hadn't stayed in Berkeley since student days many years ago. The apartment is spacious, the kitchen fully equiped and the fun of exploration and discovery in all the nooks and cranies just a joy. Everything one needs to live comfortably is here. The garden is yet another place of treasures and surprises. Our four days here, during our granddaughter's graduation, assured us of another visit. Thank you Ana.

Room Tip: Complete privacy comes with the apartment.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank faraway33
Reviewed October 18, 2011

Spruce Canyon is an amazing place. My husband and I spent six days there on a trip I took to check locations for a novel about Berkeley. I chose Spruce Canyon for its location, within walking distance of the university and all points around Cal. Spruce Canyon is a large open space, with a wonderful queen sized bed, several sofas, chairs, a table, beautiful oriental rugs, and a kitchen to die for with all the equipment you would need to set up serious gourmet housekeeping. The bathroom is amazing: offering the best shower I have ever taken and a wonderful Japanese soaking tub with surges of water when desired. Television, CD Player, Wi-Fi, and Radio all work well.

I have just described the usual amenities you would look for in a B and B. But there is so much more. When we arrived, we realized that Ana, knowing about my novel, had already provided us with books on Berkeley, on its history, on the fire of 1992, and on the California hills. Her book collection alone is worth visiting.

It's difficult to describe how beautifully her collections work. Ana, a kind and generous host, has provided her own extensive collections of cooking ware, ceramics, gongs and musical instruments, and a Zen sandbox. Baby Buddhas nestle in the tree outside the back door. The back door brings me to the garden, filled with amazing plants and statuary. The garden is lush, peaceful, and evocative. I spent much time there looking at plants and garden decorations, while waiting for the deer to arrive. I always found something new and wonderful to look at.

Everything Ana has collected is organized with great wit and charm. I am not a person who collects in this way; my own house is pretty spare, even minimal, in its furnishings. But Ana's space filled me with delight. It is clean and airy and full of charm. It makes a visitor feels welcome, as if she were an intimate friend privileged to be part of such an interesting and beautiful site.

Ana provides granola from Chez Panisse, coffee from Peet's, the best tasting plums I have ever eaten, and two-fer's for the Botanical Gardens, local theaters, and the Science Hall. She is friendly and helpful, without being the slightest bit intrusive. She strikes the perfect balance between privacy and helpfulness.

Spruce Canyon is a few blocks away from the Rose Garden, a ten-minute walk from Peets and the Gourmet Ghetto, and a twenty-minute walk form the campus. On street parking is always available, and Ana gently advises you the best places to park and not to park on the street. She is a most thoughtful guide to life in Berkeley. I recommend Spruce Canyon most highly. It is a very special place.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple