“A great place to stay”

Mary's Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berkeley
Mary's Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 8 Berkeley B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 18, 2010

We have stayed at Mary's regularly over the last few years. A home- away- from home in a quiet tree- lined residential neighborhood. Beautiful old house full of character. Well appointed bedrooms with every comfort, prettily decorated and furnished. Always a nice welcome and a great breakfast.
We unhesitatingly recommend a stay with Mary!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed February 14, 2010

My wife I and spent four nights at Mary’s B&B in Berkeley and really enjoyed our stay while we were on holiday in the Bay Area. Mary was a great hostess, made us feel at home and was full of helpful advice on places to visit, restaurants and things to do in the surrounding area.
Breakfast was a great way to start each day as conversation with Mary’s other guests was lively and informative. When we were there her other guests were included another couple on holiday (visiting relatives) and a professor visiting UC Berkeley. Our room was clean, comfortable, delightfully decorated and had a view of the Bay with the Golden Gate bridge in the distance. Actually the whole house, which is in a very nice quiet residential neighborhood, is tastefully and delightfully decorated. It within easy walking distance of UC Berkeley, one of the pleasant evening walks we took from Mary’s.
But it was Mary herself that made our stay so special; she made us feel at home, a very charming and comfortable home, something that truly made our stay so special.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 4, 2009

My husband, 2 daughters and I have stayed at Mary's everytime we have gone to Berkeley since we moved from there in 1996...so it's been 13 years. We have stayed in every room. They are all wonderful but our favorite is the apartment downstairs. Her taste in decor is elegant and yet simultaneously cozy and homey. Her breakfasts are generous, creative and ample. We love Mary and her home so much we have referred many friends over the years and they too report complete satisfaction.

Though the house is spectacular, it is Mary herself that makes us want to return. She is gracious, kind, attentive and compassionate. We have stayed in many bed and breakfast but Mary truly is the BEST host we have ever encountered.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed February 12, 2009

"After a very pleasant stay at Mary's Bed and Breakfast I would like to share my experience with others who might be looking for a recommendation in Berkeley. Mary's B and B is a large comfortable home located on Alvarado Road in the Berkeley hills directly behind the historic Claremont Hotel. If you are up for a morning walk there are outdoor stairs that cut through her neighborhood and offer spectacular views of the Bay and Golden Gate Bridge. Mary is a delightful Midwesterner who has lived in San Francisco and Berkeley. With her knowledge of the area she helped me make the most of my 5 day stay. I felt that her beautiful home was mine to enjoy while I was her guest. Breakfasts were varied and always included fresh fruit and other satisfying choices. You can enjoy privacy during your stay, but I found conversations with her other guests to be a delightful part of my experience. I am looking forward to another trip to the Bay Area and I will return to Mary's Bed and Breakfast!"

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed November 16, 2008

I highly recommend Mary's B&B! I have stayed several times in the last few years and am always impressed with the Mary's graciousness, the charming rooms, and wonderful breakfasts. Mary is always helpful when I have questions, and she gives great suggestions when I ask. Her house is elegant in a lovely way and a peaceful place to relax after being out during the day. I have stayed in two different bedrooms, each of which is charming in a unique way. I enjoy sitting in the upstairs den as well as downstairs in the living room or sun room. Mary's B&B is tops.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed November 14, 2008

Over the past five years, I have travelled to the Berkeley, CA area for professional trainings on average two-three times each year. I discovered Mary's B&B on my first trip in February, 2004, and have found my "west coast home." Located in a beautiful tree-lined neighborhood within walking distance of restaurants and shops, Mary's B & B offers an elegant and tranquil environment for the traveller. Two of her three spacious bedrooms offer a spectacular view of San Francisco, and a charming sunny second-floor family room offers t.v., and sofas for extra space to relax in. A wonderful mattress, beautiful linens, towel changes during my several days' stay, a basket of toiletries, hairdryer, writing desk - everything I need. Mary herself is a delightful and gracious hostess, whose home reflects her eye for beauty and comfort. Arriving on my first visit, walking into her home with its high ceilings, hardwood floors, fresh flowers, a beautiful foyer and living room, with classical music playing - I could relax into this haven and get a great night's sleep! I highly recommend Mary's for value, comfort, and peace of mind.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed October 29, 2008

In my opinion 'Mary's Bed and Breakfast' is one of the world's great BnB's. The rooms are tasteful and very welcoming in the feel they generate. Mary is a wonderful host. She is very friendly and helpful and made our stay a real pleasure. We felt very relaxed and were impressed at how she made us feel so at home.

The breakfast each day were of a high quality and Mary's advice on how to enjoy the area was most useful. The views out over the Bay were beautiful - especially at sunset.

If we were returning to Berkeley we would want to stay with Mary every time. We traveled with our two year old son and Mary was very relaxed about having children in her home.

In short I cannot recommend Mary's Bread and Breakfast highly enough! 10/10!!!

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business