“Is it really a B and B?”

Mary's Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berkeley
Mary's Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #6 of 8 Berkeley B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 16, 2008

Mary's Bed and Breakfast is somewhat of a misnomer. Mary, who is a delightful woman, has taken the three bedrooms on her second floor (each with its own bath) and rented them out. We stayed for a week in the pink room where the once pink rug was uniformly grey from dirt. The rest of the house was very clean, but the rug was a real turn off. Our breakfast the first day was a coffee maker for us to turn on and a biscotti in its wrapper. When we ran into her later that day, I asked if we could have a little more and subsequent breakfasts were very nice with fresh fruit and yogurt added. Our take away feeling is that Mary is a very nice woman but not very professional as a B and B owner. Several times she answered her cordless phone in our presence and didn't have the courtesy to go into another room with her conversation. As someone else noted, there are no menus from nearby resteraunts and Mary wasn't around much to ask recommendations. It was reasonably priced in a beautiful neighborhood.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank TreehouseTravelers
MHHBerkeley, owner at Mary's Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2008

I am sorry that these guests had a less than satisfactory experience at my B&B. I advised them when they made their reservation that I would be busy preparing for my daughter's wedding. They assured me that their needs would be minimal. In hindsight, I probably ought not to have had guests at such a busy time. Pressed with the demands of a destination wedding, I was unable to devote the attention and care to my guests that I normally do.

Reviewed September 15, 2007

Best bed and breakfast I have ever stayed in. The rooms were elegent and extremely clean. But the most impressive attribute is the owner. She was so accommodating and kind. I have to travel alot and this is one of the best experiences I have ever had!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank jordanSeattle_Wa
A TripAdvisor Member
Fort Bragg, CA
Reviewed May 21, 2006

... we thoroughly enjoyed every aspect of our stay at Mary's B&B. The home and rooms are quite large , comfortable, and clean. Mary is the most gracious host we have ever experienced in any B&B; she is very attentive but not overbearing; the casual atmoshere is relaxing and refreshing. We highly recommend the zucchini bread!

• Stayed: April 2006, traveled on business
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 27, 2006

We have stayed at Mary's B&B for three nights. Generally, we stay in the hotels, but this time decided to try something different, and are happy we did. The B&B is in a charming house, almost a hundered years old, with an unusual floor plan and flow. It is located in the lovely area in the hills... A short walk uphill, and great views of the Bay open up. Mary is a gracious host, and makes plenty of good coffee every morning. She has lived in the area for a while, can answer a lot of questions, and give good tips. We have met other guests over breakfasts, and had some interesting conversations -- another benefit of being in a non-hotel. We won't hesitate to stay there again, or to recommend Mary's B&B to the people we know. We had a great time there.

• Stayed: March 2006
5  Thank TravellerMR
Reviewed May 15, 2005

I have never in my life written an online review, but I feel obliged to write something here. I have stayed with Mary many, many times over the past few years, and have found both the service & accomodations to be uniformly superb. I do a lot of traveling, and would say that Mary's is possibly my single favorite 'home away from home' in the world.

• Stayed: May 2005, traveled on business
3  Thank ray60
Reviewed October 9, 2003

I have mixed feelings about Mary's B&B, after spending 2 nights there in the Apple Green room with my husband. On a positive note, this home is a lovely B&B in the Berkeley hills about a 1/2 mile drive to the UC Berkeley campus. It is beautifully decorated with antiques, and has an intimate atmosphere, since only three bedrooms are rented out. It was immaculately clean. The continental breakfast was enjoyable. However, here is the problem...we stayed for two nights, but only saw "Mary" once, only for a few moments, and we did not see her at any other time the whole weekend. In Mary's absence, we did not encounter any employees nor any family members to help us...we were on our own!
Somebody made our bed while we were out, but nobody changed our towels.
We only had one hand towel, two bath towels, and two wash cloths to last for our entire stay of 2 nights, which means two people sharing these same dirty, wet items for 3 days of bathing/washing. There was nobody to ask for more towels. There was nobody around when we wanted to ask about recommendations for restaurants or other information about the area. There were no restaurant menus lying about anywhere in the public areas, although we searched for them. The continental breakfast was nicely laid out when we came down for breakfast with the other guests, but if the bread or tea ran out, there was nobody to ask for more. Even when we arrived on the first day, nobody was there to greet us...At first, I thought we must be in the wrong place! But then we found a small note, with instructions on how to find our key and room!
I would not stay here again, because of the lack of service. It is really a shame, because it is actually one of the loveliest small b&bs I have stayed at, and it was virtually dust-free, which is a rare occurrence at b&bs, which tend to be cute but dusty, which is a problem for my husband, who is allergic to dust. But Mary's b&b is very clean.
I should add that there are actually two b&bs in Berkeley which are run by two entirely different "marys". We stayed at the one on 47 Alvarado Rd. I have never stayed at the other one, but I think the similarity in names is confusing.

11  Thank Melissa5
MHHBerkeley, Owner/Manager at Mary's Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2010

Thank you for your comments. I have learned so much through the years as a b&b owner and have tried to heed the advice given me by my clients. I have grown with the business and become happy and successful in this endeavor. I feel I am better than ever!