“lovely rooms but where's mary?”

Mary's Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Berkeley
Mary's Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #4 of 7 Berkeley B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 9, 2003

I have mixed feelings about Mary's B&B, after spending 2 nights there in the Apple Green room with my husband. On a positive note, this home is a lovely B&B in the Berkeley hills about a 1/2 mile drive to the UC Berkeley campus. It is beautifully decorated with antiques, and has an intimate atmosphere, since only three bedrooms are rented out. It was immaculately clean. The continental breakfast was enjoyable. However, here is the problem...we stayed for two nights, but only saw "Mary" once, only for a few moments, and we did not see her at any other time the whole weekend. In Mary's absence, we did not encounter any employees nor any family members to help us...we were on our own!
Somebody made our bed while we were out, but nobody changed our towels.
We only had one hand towel, two bath towels, and two wash cloths to last for our entire stay of 2 nights, which means two people sharing these same dirty, wet items for 3 days of bathing/washing. There was nobody to ask for more towels. There was nobody around when we wanted to ask about recommendations for restaurants or other information about the area. There were no restaurant menus lying about anywhere in the public areas, although we searched for them. The continental breakfast was nicely laid out when we came down for breakfast with the other guests, but if the bread or tea ran out, there was nobody to ask for more. Even when we arrived on the first day, nobody was there to greet us...At first, I thought we must be in the wrong place! But then we found a small note, with instructions on how to find our key and room!
I would not stay here again, because of the lack of service. It is really a shame, because it is actually one of the loveliest small b&bs I have stayed at, and it was virtually dust-free, which is a rare occurrence at b&bs, which tend to be cute but dusty, which is a problem for my husband, who is allergic to dust. But Mary's b&b is very clean.
I should add that there are actually two b&bs in Berkeley which are run by two entirely different "marys". We stayed at the one on 47 Alvarado Rd. I have never stayed at the other one, but I think the similarity in names is confusing.

11  Thank Melissa5
MHHBerkeley, Owner/Manager at Mary's Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2010

Thank you for your comments. I have learned so much through the years as a b&b owner and have tried to heed the advice given me by my clients. I have grown with the business and become happy and successful in this endeavor. I feel I am better than ever!