North Berkeley Cottage
$169
Rose Garden Inn(Berkeley)
$206
Berkeley Rodeway Inn(Berkeley)(Great Value!)
$120
Fairmont.com
  • Pool
Priceline
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 5, 2009

For over six years, I have made a week-long stay at the cottage part of an annual pilgrimage to Berkeley for a yoga workshop. Each year, approaching the cottage along the meandering garden path brings a sense of wonder and delight at the layers of green foliage, fiery blooms, and hovering hummingbirds. The cottage is and feels completely private; there are also two quiet, intimate places to sit in the garden. The cottage has a huge bathtub, great shower, large windows, and the kitchen is, as others have said, well-appointed. Convenience to a variety of wonderful food and wine shops, along with great restaurants, make the location alone a big draw. But this gem of a retreat is worth a trip on its own. The hosts have a perfect sense of friendliness and helpfulness without ever seeming to hover; each interaction I have had with them has been delightful.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank atdg588
Reviewed July 3, 2009

This is just a lovely place to stay. Quiet, incredibly convenient, and very pretty. The garden is a delight, the cottage is very clean and well appointed, and the kitchen very well equipped, and a very nice place to cook and enjoy a glass of wine. The sleeping arrangements are both comfortable and flexible. I have stayed here several times, both alone and with my young adult daughter. My only regrets are that it is not always available when I visit, and that I always eat too many of the good things that are so nearby in Gourmet Ghetto!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank migratoryme
Reviewed June 18, 2009

We were lucky enough to find this gem 10 years ago when our son moved to Berkeley, and have been thoroughly delighted to be able to return almost every year since. We really do feel we've come "home" again every time we stay. The other reviewers are all right about the details: a really comfortable, well equipped cottage, set back behind this gorgeous garden behind the main house on a residential street, but so close to such wonderful attractions -- within two blocks for the restaurants and shops of the "Gourmet Ghetto", and within BART and driving distance of the whole Bay area. Reg and Pat are delightful folks who are happy to provide any information you need - we look forward to seeing them on every visit.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank larmarke
Reviewed April 8, 2009

We have stayed at North Berkeley Bed and Breakfast over a dozen times-- sometimes for a month at a time. For us, it is another home. It is comfortable and pretty. You feel that you are in your own little garden paradise. It is quiet and private, but at the same time close to Berkeley's best eateries and shops, most especially the Cheese Board Collective just up the block, a great book store and clothing shops.
We don't have a car, and find the walking distances to BART and other locations not onerous.
The price is right too, compared to other, less interesting places to stay.
It's fun to be in a house rather than a hotel or motel room, where you have to go out to eat all the time. It's fun go to the Berkeley Rep, and the green market and the beautiful parks. And especially, for us, it is safe and informal and a perfect place for our little granddaughter to visit, equipped with children's books and games.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank camusNewYorkCity
Reviewed January 30, 2009

I could not have had a more delightful time anywhere else, this oasis is a little piece of shangri-la. The accomodations are located in a separate cottage house which was not only clean and well-maintained, but also had cheerful little touches throughout, which made me feel very at-home. The proprietors are absolutely lovely people. Great kitchen, living room, bedroom & bathroom. The location is in extremely close proximity to everything, including BART system; everything is within walking distance. I can't recommend this place highly enough. It was very quiet and peaceful, and frankly, I haven't slept that well in a long time. I'll be back in June, and I'm really looking forward to it!

AS