“Academic botanical garden”

and up
Go San Francisco Card
Ranked #3 of 87 things to do in Berkeley
More attraction details
Owner description: Past Strawberry Canyon is the 34-acre Botanical Garden, which holds about 13,000 species of plants. The species are organized according to regions of the world, and the garden has a great collection of native Californian plants. Bring a picnic basket and some money for the bookstore and admission (closed the first Tuesday of each month and free on the first Thursday of each month). Be sure to check out the conservatory (for tropical plants) and the Chinese medicinal herb garden.The garden is open from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. every day of the year except the first Tuesday of each month, Thanksgiving Day, December 24 and 25, December 31, January 1, and Martin Luther King Jr. Day. Tours are also available on Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Visited this botanical garden with my daughter who studied at UC Berkeley's College of Nature Resources. She was very enthusiastic and explained lots of plants and trees. When we visited it, there were too many flours. For someone like me who isn't in the field, I was looking toward a botanical garden with lots of flowers. I was disappointed a bit because I didn't see too many of them. The garden isn't big but sitting on a hill. So there is a natural landscape which I like. I've seen better botanical garden. So I decided this is an academic botanical garden for students, not for me.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

I went by myself and wandered around for over three hours and still felt like I didn't do the gardens justice. I sat on a shady bench in the Mexican section and ate my lunch. I didn't see a soul the whole time and the only sounds were the birds overhead. They have some gorgeous plantings and grasses and a great view of the Bay. Check out the Redwood Grove across the street near the parking. Worth the $10.

1  Thank MSLAMT
Reviewed July 9, 2012

terrific collectiion, easy paths, well marked.
the native plant section was especially well done.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

This is a great garden to visit in Berkeley. There are many unusual species. I visited in springtime when flowers were blooming, fabulous.

Reviewed July 9, 2012

The UC Berkeley Botanical Garden has become one of my favorite places to relax and take photographs. Since I especially enjoy photographing our native Anna's and Allen's hummingbirds in a natural environment, this garden is a go to destination for me on a regular basis. There is an incredible diversity of flowering plants and sources of water (ponds and sprinkler systems) that makes this an ideal place for hummingbirds to feed, nest and just hang out. I have also photographed many other forms of wildlife including our native grey foxes, newts, a variety of birds, chorus frogs and butterflies. My work is now featured on the website for the garden and on their facebook page since I am now also a volunteer photographer at the garden.

1  Thank MelanieBerkeley_CA