“Not the 60s any more.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Telegraph Avenue

Telegraph Avenue
Ranked #17 of 81 things to do in Berkeley
More attraction details
Owner description: Almost as if we haven't lost a moment of time... Telegraph Avenue in Berkeley is still so reminiscent of the 60's that you will feel as if you have traveled back in time when you visit Telegraph Avenue in Berkeley. The shops and eateries are a mix of quintessential hippie-dom mixed with the current U.C. Berkeley modern day student. Both seem to blend together in a medley that makes shopping and eating here almost a cultural or historical trek as well as a great shopping one.
Oakland, CA
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Not the 60s any more.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

It is run down with many vacant storefronts. There are also many homeless begging on the streets. This is not Telegraph Ave from the 60s.

Visited January 2013
3 Thank TaranOakland_CA

Concord, CA
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Love to visit the street merchants tables!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2013

My girlfriends and I like to head to Be-zerkely every now and then to get away from the typical urban lunch dates. They have so many wonderful craftspeople with their wares, I love the bumper sticker table, fun to shop for tie-dye clothes or even get a henna tatoo right on the street!

Visited July 2012
Modesto, California
252 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 532 helpful votes
“Disappointing!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Visited here with my husband this past weekend. It had been several years since I had walked on Telegraph but I have liked coming in the past, looking at the jewelry and craft sellers, visiting a few stores and enjoying the ambience. I have purchased necklaces and a tie dye shirt during other visits and I still wear and enjoy these items. This last trip I was struck by how run down and unappealing the street has become. Although it was never bright and shining, it just seemed depressing and dirty. The sidewalks looked like they had not been cleaned in years and there were many homeless, unkept, listless people (many of them quite young) with animals lounging around the sidewalks. A feeling of hopelessness filled the air. The craft sellers looked lifeless for the most part, and the jewelery I once enjoyed looking at appeared tired and uninteresting. The tables of marijuana ware sold by burned out middle aged men was just not appealing. We did buy a cute tie dye shirt for our grandson and my husband bought a tea cup from a local potter who was rather interesting to talk to. The stores seem basically the same on Telegraph as I remember from previous trips, although previous reviewers noted that a number of stores have closed here. Since I come here infrequently, I did not notice this as much. There did seem to be some interesting eating places and we enjoyed some refreshment at Peets Coffee. (I loved my dark chocolate blended cold drink). I bought some socks at the sock store and that is about it. We were happy to leave this rather depressing area. I would only recommend if you are looking for some nostalgia or if there is a particular store/business located here that you want to visit. I doubt we will come back again to Telegraph Avenue. Berkeley has a number of other more delightful streets and neighborhoods to explore.

Visited February 2013
Berkeley, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Step carefully!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

It's so to see how Telegraph Ave. has declined in recent years. There is still interesting shopping over the 4 blocks just south of campus, but the vibrant Cody's Books and the charming Tienda Hol, among many others, are gone. Berkeley voted against the "sit lie" ordinance last year, and dozens of people live on the side walk. One must step carefully! -- and begging is rampant. It just isn't fun any more.

Visited January 2013
2 Thank John B
San Lorenzo, California
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“A slum”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

It is a shame that the major street leading to the University of California is full of home street people and beggars.

Visited November 2012