“Warning to Fellow Tourists!”
Review of Telegraph Avenue

Telegraph Avenue
Ranked #17 of 87 things to do in Berkeley
More attraction details
Owner description: Almost as if we haven't lost a moment of time... Telegraph Avenue in Berkeley is still so reminiscent of the 60's that you will feel as if you have traveled back in time when you visit Telegraph Avenue in Berkeley. The shops and eateries are a mix of quintessential hippie-dom mixed with the current U.C. Berkeley modern day student. Both seem to blend together in a medley that makes shopping and eating here almost a cultural or historical trek as well as a great shopping one.
Reviewed August 5, 2012

My best friend visiting from the East Coast and I came here for dinner last night. We ordered 4 items (noodles, shrimp, dumplings, and green beans) and two bowls of rice and the total came out to $71.

They charged $7 for the rice and $3.00 for our tea! A Chinese restaurant charging for tea! I was astounded but didn't say anything, because of the shrimp. When it came out, it was literally half the size of how it was depicted in the picture (it looked more like another, much cheaper shrimp dish). I asked the waitress immediately if perhaps she'd made a mistake, and she very tersely informed me that the shrimp got smaller when cooked, and that no matter what, we were going to pay for it. I don't know if you guys like cocktail shrimp- I love it- but this dish of 5 pieces of small-medium shrimp simmered in garlic cost $17. I could have bought a whole platter of 40 cocktail shrimp at safeway.

I was ready to let it go, if the waitress had just apologized for the misrepresentation (it's not HER fault, after all) but she was SO rude to me, actually rolled her eyes, and walked away saying she didn't want to talk to me.

I love Chinese food and have been to a Chinese restaurant in literally every country I've been to (12 total) and never have I come across such misrepresentation of a restaurant's menu and service.

There are newer reviews for Telegraph Avenue

Reviewed July 24, 2012

We loved walking down the street but it completely convinced me to discourage my son from applying to UC Berkeley.

I guess it's true that if you remember the 60's you weren't really there.

1  Thank SoCal_mother
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Telegraph Ave. is a great place to visit-though it's best to do on foot. There are fun stores to shop in and a wide range of restaurants to eat in, from take out to dining in, depending upon your mood. On the weekends, there is a street fair, close to the University that's lots of fun.

Reviewed July 10, 2012

Homeless people are an eyesore, and are constantly asking for money...some you have to step over, or go into street to avoid. Will never go there again.

1  Thank Terry H
Reviewed July 10, 2012

This area has a lot of great stores and restaurants, but it's full of weird, creepy people. If you don't mind those weird people, this is a great place to check out!