“Good food, service and value”

Taste of the Himalayas
Ranked #77 of 716 Restaurants in Berkeley
Cuisines: Indian, Tibetan, Nepali
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 11, 2012

This was the first restaurant that got us interested in Indian/Tibetan food. It is still one of the best we like. The food is always good and the staff is always very friendly.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

I have eaten here several times.both alone and with friends. The food is delicious, interesting and served by a very friendly wait staff

Reviewed November 1, 2012

We chose this restaurant based on a recommendation and were not disappointed. I was surprised to enter a lovely, bright, quiet, place with cloth covered tables and friendly quick service. One of us went with the lamb and mushroom special served with the chefs choice of vegetable - in this case a creamed spinach dish with large pieces of tofu, all with rice and a potato pancake. On the regular menu was a curried goat dish we were dying to try and couldn't resist adding the garlic naan. The naan was fragrant, soft and served hot. All the food was wonderful along with a chiya tea and rice pudding with almonds for dessert. All in all, really nice food and atmosphere. We would go back.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

I randomly chose this restaurant on my vacation, and the food was OUTSTANDING. The samosas are fresh, delicate, and moist -- what an amazing appetizer! I ordered your lamb tandoori and it was moist, flavorful, and delicious. I found the temperature to be perfect inside of the restaurant, and it is just the right size space for eating and feels both intimate and warm. If you want great Indian food in Berkeley, go here. The food is fresh and amazing.

The only complaint I have is that the female staff members seem to hate being there, and the male staff member seems to look out at the patrons and make jokes about them to other staff. It's kind of a weird vibe here from the wait staff. Still, the quality of the food trumps it. Eat here; you won't regret it.

Reviewed July 3, 2012

Walking through the "gourmet ghetto" of Shattuck Avenue on a surprisingly sunny July day, I stopped to look at the menu posted in the window and went in for an unplanned late lunch here. The interior was clean, pleasantly attractive, and inhabited by only a few other patrons who were relaxed and engaged in quiet conversations. The service was prompt and the server helpful. Had I seen the other reviews for this restaurant before dining, I would have asked for the dishes to be medium or very spicy rather than mild since I enjoy South Asian spices but am reluctant to commit to a high level of spices before a first lunch or dinner--after some intense experiences in South Indian restaurants! Great breads, very good vegetable dishes, and a variety of tanduri (tandoori) meats are available. The dal soup is really good. The raita (yoghurt) is thick and delicious, far more than a cooling adjunct to the meal. Better to dine here in a group in order to sample a larger range of possibilities than someone alone can manage, but I certainly will return and make up by more dining experiences what I could not attempt in one luncheon. Please note that as an authentic South Asian restaurant, it observes "midday closing" from 3 to 5pm, and is open for lunch from 11:30am to 3:00pm then dinner from 5:00 to 10:00pm.